Worse drivers?

Brent B3B

This topic may have been brought up before but, I have to apologize to the State of Texas.

Back in 2001 I had a work related event and we were in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. Doing the posted speed limit we were being run over by locals.

for years we claimed Texas drivers were the worse..... I stand corrected, we just got back from east coast trip and (no offense to any member) but Maryland drivers are flipping nuts! 

Or it could be just me, but on the West coast you are allowed to go 5 to 10 miles over the posted speed limit without  repercussion. In the few days we were there (Maryland) I never saw a car pulled over for speeding. In fact only time I saw an officer was when someone was broke down on the side of the road . And folks were traveling 15-20+ over the posted speed.

i haven't traveled as much as many others folks but WOW. Think I am ready for Texas again ?

Yep, it's been discussed before, and I still can't decide which state has the worst drivers.  They all have their share, and they all seem to have their own bad driving quirks, too.  The eastern seaboard from MA down to VA is a nightmare to drive in.  Not too bad in northern Maine, we have our share, but the turds really stand out.  Just not enough police to catch them most of the time. Southern part of the state has too many MA drivers, you see someone being a butt-head driver, 9 times out of 10 its got a MA plate.   

I always see NJ drivers displaying very hostile road manners....they are migrating south also....I still would rather drive Atlanta traffic compared to Charlotte....but then again...as said, they everywhere.  We had a road rage incident where a young person was shot in the face here in Ga.  It's getting bad everywhere it seems

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Rome, Italy has the world's worst drivers, and I've been all over the world. Next to them, however, the worst I've ever seen are here in Wilmington, NC. I've lived all over the US, and these drivers are the absolute worst. ?

Texas drivers are bad...?  No, you just have to remember that we own the road :lol:

In Texas the speed limits on all backroads have no meaning unless the weather is lousy (wet or icy), someone is moving livestock on the road, the deer population is contemplating suicide, the city drivers are sightseeing, or the damn bicyclists are on the road.  Worst city drivers I have encountered are from Austin or San Antonio.  When on the interstate, unless you are in a city (lots of cops), move fast or move out of the way.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

Rome, Italy has the world's worst drivers, and I've been all over the world. Next to them, however, the worst I've ever seen are here in Wilmington, NC. I've lived all over the US, and these drivers are the absolute worst. ?

I don't recall the traffic as being that horrible when I visited Rome but that was a while back and things might have changed. Visited Delhi this summer: Drivers there are far worse than I recall in Italy. Makes any differences between, say, a bad NYC driver and the best from anywhere else in the States seem trivial.

I spend a lot of time on the road at my job and it seems to me driving habits are getting progressively worse regardless of where you go  The latest bad habit I see more and more often is the vehicle failing to get all four wheels in the other lane when passing.  I don't mind sharing the road and I don't mind getting passed as long as they're not trying to use the same portion of road I am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dave72dt said:

I spend a lot of time on the road at my job and it seems to me driving habits are getting progressively worse regardless of where you go  The latest bad habit I see more and more often is the vehicle failing to get all four wheels in the other lane when passing.  I don't mind sharing the road and I don't mind getting passed as long as they're not trying to use the same portion of road I am.

Seems most drivers today do not know how to read or care about the lines on the road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Yep, it's been discussed before, and I still can't decide which state has the worst drivers.  They all have their share, and they all seem to have their own bad driving quirks, too.  

Thought so, sorry about the double topic. We have our share here in the West coast but they just seem to be concentrated where we were.

4 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

Texas drivers are bad...?  No, you just have to remember that we own the road :lol:

The irony of the trip was our rental car had Texas plates! ?

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I always see NJ drivers displaying very hostile road manners....they are migrating south also....I still would rather drive Atlanta traffic compared to Charlotte....but then again...as said, they everywhere.  We had a road rage incident where a young person was shot in the face here in Ga.  It's getting bad everywhere it seems

I blame it partially on video games! Gives these kids a false sense of experience

Kinda of like the guy in Washington state that stole a commercial jet.... he told traffic controllers something to the effect he played simulator games so he felt he could fly..... unfortunately he was sick, fortunately I believe nobody else was hurt. 

Hi all,

I've experienced crazy lane usage by drivers both in passing and coming at me. Up here in Vermont we don't have many cops and the tourists seem to take advantage. It used to be Massachusetts drivers seemed the worst offenders, but Connecticut seems to have passed them in sheer speed. The scariest drivers I've ever encountered was in Quebec. It seems to most drivers the traffic regulations are only suggestions and not very good ones at that.
Pete

• Like 1

Yeah, I forgot about Canadian drivers in the U.S.  I'd never seen anyone stop on an Interstate because they passed an exit, then drive in reverse in the traffic lanes back to the exit so they could take it - by both Ontario and Quebec plates, until I got to Michigan and New York, not "all the time", but enough times to be a bit scared of them.  New Brunswick drivers here in northern Maine don't seem so bad by comparison, maybe because NB is even more rural than here.  Maybe.

We go to NJ on a regular basis, too.  That's where the Missus hails from.  Bad part about that is that when the little lady comes back from a visit, it takes a few days for her to shake off her NJ driving habits...:eek:

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, nonstop said:

Come to the Bay Area. People drive like crap here.....when the traffic actually moves!

I moved from the SF South Bay area to a So. Calif. beach town a couple years ago. I'd say the Bay Area drivers are better than the LA metro area drivers.

Or maybe everywhere has bad drivers, just that the style of bad driving varies by location and you get used to the bad style where you are and compensate for it. Then when you visit some other place their particular bad style seems frightening as you are not anticipating it and automatically making compensations to mitigate the dangers.

On advantage of the SF Bay Area over the LA Metro Area is that it is more compact: You don't have to drive your old vehicle as far before you can get to some pretty nice scenic back roads compared to LA.

Huh......seems I always remember county and states by their slowest drivers......

or by how nice their Highway Patrol Officers are....lol.

48D

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tom'sB2B said:

I heard the knuckleheads up near Beavercreek Oregon are the worst. ?

LOL, watch it! or I'll use your truck to practice my parallel parking at next years BBQ :D  

Sometimes you've got to learn to drive like the locals. When I moved from Chicago to a smaller town, I was amazed that drivers stopped at a traffic light as soon as it turned yellow. In Chicago 10 or more cars would have "made" the light. Learn fast, or rear end the car in front of you. Where I live now in Vermont there's only 1 intersection with traffic lights in the county I live in. For you Californians, my county is just about the same size as San Mateo county. Been there. Like it here better. And I'm a native Californian.

Pete

I cannot defend my fellow countrymen and their driving habits as I have seen quite a few lousy examples on a regular basis all over the state.  In my time in West TX, it was understood to steer clear of anyone with NM plates cuz they had a tendency to just wander around a bit and forget about traffic laws in general.  Just today, south of Waco, I was travelling along several paved back roads and had to make left turns onto other roads, having to pass a truck that I was trailing at 2 separate intersections cuz one guy decided to pause to look at something for sale in a corner yard, and the other much older guy took the turn so wide (and slow) that he had to stop before turning into the ditch...road construction over every other hill, leadfoots around every corner, and yankees wandering around just a-gawkin' at us simple folk and our backwards ways...it's no wonder that visitors think drivers are bad here, cuz there are A BUNCH of'm that are just THE WORST :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, Pete said:

Sometimes you've got to learn to drive like the locals. When I moved from Chicago to a smaller town, I was amazed that drivers stopped at a traffic light as soon as it turned yellow. In Chicago 10 or more cars would have "made" the light. Learn fast, or rear end the car in front of you. Where I live now in Vermont there's only 1 intersection with traffic lights in the county I live in. For you Californians, my county is just about the same size as San Mateo county. Been there. Like it here better. And I'm a native Californian.

Pete

I live/work in San Mateo County.  101 is stopped or slow most all the time now, 92 is a mess at 6am and from 3:30 on, and 280 is like 101 was 10 years ago.  Your county sounds like a little slice of Heaven compared to this place! Sure you don't want to come back?

Hi non-stop,

I until several years ago I used to go to Silicon Valley on regular basis for business. My wife and I also have a number of relatives living there -- Palo Alto, Woodside, San Jose. I've spent time in those 6 lane parking lots. My daily commute to work now is an old federal 2 lane highway through the woods and along the river with lots of cows farms and very little traffic. Very low stress. I've found a home and I'm not going back.

Pete

When we, too, lived in west Texas, we indeed watched out for NM drivers.  But then when we moved to NM, we found ourselves watching out for TX drivers.  In both States, we got off the road if we could when we saw plates from Mexican states coming.  I sullied MA drivers earlier, I'm certain folks in MA have ill thoughts of the driving skills of Mainers.  Etc., etc.  Our primary road scourge up here in northern Maine is the wildlife.  If you're an impatient driver, or can't learn to be, then the laid back pace of motoring up here (except for the log trucks) will drive you nuts.  Driving up here is kinda like the weather up here, if you wait for perfect weather to do something, you'll probably never get it done, if you're driving and in a hurry, you probably aren't going to get anywhere...    

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

It seems that many drivers who drive reasonably at home go a bit nuts when traveling out-of-state. Some of the worst are big new SUVs charging up the Interstates headed for a quick weekend at the ski resorts . The locals here have names for them. "Mainiacs" and M*ssholes are a couple. I haven't heard one for Connecticut yet, so maybe the group can make some suggestions. I don't know what Vermonters are called when they drive crazily out-of-state. I suspect it may be "Vermonsters."

Pete

• Like 1