Gyromatic Tranny 1951 Coronet

Dan Heston

My son and I recently purchased an auto cocoon, sat for over 4 decades.  We got it running, finished brakes, fluids, etc ...and we pulled it out of the garage under it's own power for the first time yesterday.  I'm used to normal clutch vehicles, so I'm hoping someone can help me with this tranny functionality.  I have heard that at a stoplight, the clutch does NOT have to be engaged, correct?  At what speed do I clutch in order to column shift also?  Thanks a lot for any help.

Dan

I believe your car (and congratulations on getting it running) has what is known as fluid drive. Fluid drive is not a transmission and not a clutch but it is a hydraulic coupling between the engine and transmission. Yes with the fluid drive you can come to a complete stop while in gear with the clutch pedal not engaged and the engine will continue to run. It is possible to leave the transmission in top gear and accelerate from a dead stop although it will not win any drag races when you do this. If you do not have an owners manual for your car I suggest you get one as it will explain how and when to shift gears. Post a photo of your car when you can.

• Like 2

if it is indeed a Gyromatic  you will find only 4 positions on the gearshift,  Reverse  back and upward,  low range  up ,     high range  down  and of course , neutral.

To  operate,   depress clutch and start engine.  select either high range low range or reverse.  Release clutch.  depress accelerator  and the car will move,

To operate in a forward direction depress clutch  and select either high range or low range.  Release clutch.  Depress accelerator and start moving.  at about 20 mph, let off on the gas and the   transmission should shift into the higher gear of the range selected.  A noticeable clunk will be felt.  Re apply power and continue  to drive.  Only use the clutch  when it is necessary to move the gear selector.   You may change ranges while moving by depressing the clutch and moving the selector.

To avoid the temptation of needlessly using the clutch  hook your left foot behind the right one.   As Don mentioned above, the glove box manual gives full instructions and tells how to get a "kick down" if needed.   You need not be shy or tentative.  These transmissions are almost bullet proof  and will work very well for you, unless you are competing in drag racing.  ( even back in the day, it was said that the Gyromatic could outperform a Powerflite in a race   but we may be talking about tortoise and hare situations.

My technique for get up and go was.....  select low range (up)  release clutch   floor the accelerator and wind the engine up tight.  quickly depress the clutch and pull the selector down so fast that the  internal shift cannot occur. depress the accelerator hard down again and when maximum (prudent) speed is attained, release the accelerator  and allow the internal shift to put you in high gear.  Keep driving all day.   ( This technique comes with 4 pages of disclaimers and may not be for the faint of heart.  Parental guidance is recommended.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you have the gyromatic trans? These cars also came with a 3 speed trans with the fluid coupling. With this you need to  clutch to shift. You have the option to start in 3rd gear and leave it there. You don’t need to disengage the  clutch when you stop. I have a 52 Coronet with the gyromatic and it’s a blast to drive. The Imperial website has a troubleshooting manual available for download along with other information. If I can help just ask.

• Like 1