engine swap

jgreg53

On 6/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, Andydodge said:

Dryer..........the only cut I made to the body was a 2"x 4" boxed in section at the bottom of the firewall, in the pic its just behind the distributor.......but I mounted the engine quite low in the chassis so thats why no other part was cut...........I would suggest you follow my posts on this thread from the 1st as I don't recommend using a 318 poly as I did due to its width, a 273-360 on the other hand is narrower and would be a better option.........as for a rear axle I have had 2 rear axles in the car......the 1st was the one from the 1962 Oz Chrysler Royal(say 57 US Plymouth) with valiant front vented discs adapted to the Plymouth rear end.....that lasted from 1973 to 2005 when I replaced it with the complete disc to disc rear axle from an Oz 1991 Ford Falcon Wagon which bolted straight in.........I assume you are in the USA.........you should be able to find something that will work over there, ie from a rear drive mopar of some sort..........basically anything can be made to fit, it just depends on how badly you want it to and your skills and fabrication abilities.........I taught myself and did  a few things a few times..........lol..........but its been a hot rod since 1973 so its all good...........Andy Douglas

P1010403.JPG

How low did it sit i bought a 41 someone previous owner did a fatman front end swap but the tranny cross member looks like it sits to low just a few inches from the ground think i would scrape alot being that low

I mounted the Poly too low really but its been that way since 1973 & I'm too lazy and old to change it.......I don't have any pic apart from this one taken from underneath the car showing the narrowed Austin 1800 steering rack......but in this pic you can see the lower A arm and that the sump is actually LOWER than this lower A arm......so the engine is quite low...........originally I was intended to use a 392 Hemi but that didn't happen but as the same mounts were used by the Hemi and Poly I mounted the poly at this height.........you can get an idea from the previous engine bay pics and seeing where the engine sits in relation to the horizontal "seam" that runs across the firewall which 1940's mopars all have.........andyd

IMG_1574.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

the Plymouth unless a Canadian version got set up for use of the shorter 23 inch block and not the longer 25 inch of the domestic 265.  It will fit with some minor modifications to the front mount and moving the radiator forward of the radiator shell.  Cutting a notch for the damper is required and if you go this route, ensure the notch is large enough to allow belt change.