1951 Fargo 400cid on Dakota chassis

f_armer

16 hours ago, f_armer said:

The rag joint is running straight, i was thinking of getting rid of it, but figured it might be good to leave it? I was thinking it would take some road noise out of the steering wheel, but i don't know, i havent driven it yet!

I'll maybe revisit the steering after a road test.

I dont see in any way at the moment that it would be unsafe.

OK, if it runs very straight and in a neutral for/aft position  it will most likely fine.

In one of your pictures posted it looked nice and straight but in the next pic from a different angle I thought it may be at an angle.

Just thought it was worth mentioning based on my earlier experience!  ☹️

Looking good,

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm using dakota wiring harness.

I have 2 scenarios for fuel pump. 

The dakota had + coil wire inline with fuel pump. I'm not sure I need that. 

Would 2nd diagram not work just as well?

In the first diagram after truck starts the fuel pump would be fed through ballast resistor?

I've added the ecu, the dakota was fuel injected and computerized. 

I've had it running but sort of hot wired stuff to start,  I've got to sort things out and make a clean install. 

20190220_104329-1701x3024.jpg

20190220_101643-1701x3024.jpg

Edited by f_armer

The Dakota may have had an impact/rollover fuel pump shutoff wired into the system. I'd sure incorporate it if it's still available..

Will the pump still operate efficiently running power through the resister?

Edited by Dave72dt
added question

4 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

The Dakota may have had an impact/rollover fuel pump shutoff wired into the system. I'd sure incorporate it if it's still available..

Will the pump still operate efficiently running power through the resister?

Im not sure if it had a rollover switch, i dont think so unless it was in the computer, there was no other switch/sensor in the harness.

I havent tried to run the pump through the resistor, i guess that was sort of my question, would it hurt the pump?

Im adding the oil pressure switch for safety reasons, maybe thats what the dakota originally had? Im not sure.

I find factory harnesses kind of amusing, there is not much ryme or reason for wire colors, they change colors willy nilly throughout, for no apparent reason.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, f_armer said:

It's drivable!

Little more to do yet

I just had to beat radar to the punch! Haha

20190301_113855-2016x1134.jpg

I agree just add the snow plow and rear tire chains and really have some fun!!  ?

DJ

It is low  but that pic makes it look like it's on the ground,  there's about 4" clearance actually.  But still,  I gotta put a little larger tire on the front,  it's too low.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I realized I hadn't shared a pic of the shifter made. 

I was originally planning on using the column shift but decided it'd be easiest to make a floor shifter. 

I made a bracket that bolts to the trans and used the short factory linkage to go from trans lever to shift lever. 

I think it turned out ok. 

20190227_143309-1134x2016.jpg

20190227_143324-1134x2016.jpg

It drives really nice.  The solid engine mount is not a problem there is virtually no engine vibration. Even at an idle.

It sounds like a beast since it's still open headers but cruising at 50mph there are no weird vibrations,  surprising since I shortened my driveshaft myself! I thought for sure there'd be an imbalance in the shaft, but it seems good. 

It is too low obviously,  good thing i don't have fresh paint on the front valance! She rubs now and then on the gravel road. 

If you punch it at 50 she'll break the tires loose(on gravel) but no shortage of power!

• Like 1

Your truck is coming out so cool! Did you etch that shifter plate? Looks like fancy laser stuff but I know acid resist etching or sandblasting around tape or vinyl will do the same. What’s on top of that wrought iron blacksmith style shift arm? You twist that up from square stock with a torch?

Super glad to hear you have a smooth runner and no bad vibes or teeth rattling at idle. My idle rattles my neighbors teeth ? 

It’s crazy how radical and slammed the fargo looks next to your dodge. Very cool.

11 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Your truck is coming out so cool! Did you etch that shifter plate? Looks like fancy laser stuff but I know acid resist etching or sandblasting around tape or vinyl will do the same. What’s on top of that wrought iron blacksmith style shift arm? You twist that up from square stock with a torch?

Super glad to hear you have a smooth runner and no bad vibes or teeth rattling at idle. My idle rattles my neighbors teeth ? 

It’s crazy how radical and slammed the fargo looks next to your dodge. Very cool.

I mounted an air scribe on my plasma table to do the shifter plate.  It works kinda ok,  it sometimes quits and just drags,  I mounted it on an air slide and it's hard to get the right down pressure set.

I cut a brass knuckle shape out of 1/2" metal for the shifter,  I think it suits the theme. 

The shaft is 1/2" square.  It twists fairly easily without heat. I made a jig outta a couple cracked 1/2" drive sockets,  just slip the shaft in, and turn the big nut. 

20190321_100136-1134x2016.jpg

20190321_100046-1134x2016.jpg

20190321_095840-1134x2016.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Just needs a quick release- in case you “want to change to a different shift knob” in a hurry!

Haha, the thought crossed my mind to be able to "use it if necessary" but I'm too old (and wise??) to get in that situation, i think....?

• Haha 2

…Remembering the Boy Scout's motto ,"Be Prepared" ! ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

they pretty much useless in a gun fight.....lol

Also, cover all bases...?

• Like 2

Dang Farmer you must really hate those tires! 

As soon as you started smoking them my ape brain started telling me to go lean my iphone against a tree and see if I can throw chunks of my radials onto my neighbor’s roof across the street. The human part of my brain said yeah get him! Haha half ape half child in the body of a goofy 40 year old. I think I left enough rubber on my street already this week. And two blocks over. And a little in my own driveway. 

But none of those tire fryings hold a candle to your Australian style smoke show. I’m not even gonna try to compete!

But a race... Even with my giant motor I bet you could get me off the line with our trucks how they are now. It’d be stupid fun to line em up at the track. On paper I should walk you in the 1/4 but I bet the 1/8 would be real close.

Have you started driving that beast around yet? Shakedown runs always make me nervous man I hate breaking down and did a lot of it learning how to wrench, which I’m definitely still doing... enough typing I gotta watch your video again