1951 Fargo 400cid on Dakota chassis

f_armer

OH NO....did we not learn something with the PINTO...…..:lol:  

They sure brought that one home with that spoof movie...TOP SECRET

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=opensearch&p=spoof+movie%2C+exploding+pinto#id=1&vid=28f4e30f6d34ba5e671b3c3499c2339c&action=click

Oh man I forgot that’s an unsafe spot! Definitely move it to directly under the bench seat like a real dodge truck, or even better just make the dashboard into a fuel tank like Henry Ford intended.

Seriously though that plastic fuel cell from the dakota would not leak in a low speed crash like a pinto- put it wherever you want or get a jaz fuel cell or 60s mustang tank. All the work you’re doing a gas tank relocation is such a minor setback.

I moved the engine over 1 1/8" so everything is parallel and driveshaft clears tank. 

I'm planning on using a fuel regulator and using factory fuel pump. 

Also it looks like i can plumb the fuel filler pipe into back of cab and use the stock 1951 location for filling. 

Rough fit the box yesterday. 

I like the look of the box sitting slightly lower than original.  I know the running boards won't line up, but I may shorten them to cab length or not have running boards at all. 

20181010_173858-800x450.jpg

What are you doing for exhaust out of the heads? I didn’t want to build headers and the truck manifolds I had were rear collector and took up firewall room I need. Even the shorties I put on are really close to the passenger side upper control arm. 

Thank goodness I am doing a low deck like you a 440 RB would be even tighter!

Also just my opinion but the truck looks tall and loses some of it’s stubby massiveness that the boards give it. That’s not to say it wouldn’t look cool with corvette/cobra side pipes? I just love stepsides so I’m biased.

Edited by Radarsonwheels

Good luck! I really liked those I just wasn’t willing to drop $300 on a gamble. Please post some pics of how they fit- especially the passenger side! My motor is 3/4” offset that way which combined with the passenger head being offset toward the rear made the pipes real tight. Regular headers wanted to take up too much room that I need for pedals and steering so I went with the small block huggers.

I would consider moving up to the ones you got if they fit really well.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:06 PM, f_armer said:

I ordered some 78070 hedmans I have no idea if they will fit.

hedman-78070-01.jpg

hedman-78070-04.jpg

I just put a set of those on my 67 Dodge Monaco 383, which they say they don’t fit, but they did pretty great in my opinion.  Word of warning, sand the living crap out of them before you paint them...I roughed mine up to what I thought was good and used VHT header paint...didn’t last 5 minutes and it came off in huge chunks.

good quality header tho 

Funny thing, i ordered from tdotperformance.ca they were $9 more than summitracing but i thought I'd support a canadian company.

I get an email the next day, saying, before they can process my order i must specify year make model and engine size of vehicle, to ensure a proper fit.

I emailed them back basically telling them to just hurry up and ship them.

Just thought it was odd, do they double check every order people make to be sure they know what they are doing?

Haha sorry sir it doesn’t look like these will fit a flathead straight six. It’s like when you go to the parts desk and ask for champion rc12yc or nkg b8es and the ‘parts salesman’ glazes over and you have to think of a car to tell him so he can look it up.

1 hour ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Haha sorry sir it doesn’t look like these will fit a flathead straight six. It’s like when you go to the parts desk and ask for champion rc12yc or nkg b8es and the ‘parts salesman’ glazes over and you have to think of a car to tell him so he can look it up.

computer dead heads.....but, if you do not have the part number when you got to the counter..expect this as they do have to have a starting point..(think of it as a system boot or bios) ...some of the older guys will know what you need and what shelf they are stocked, just don't count on it and be prepared for the "deer in the headlight" stare.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got the last 600ac of harvest off.  Finally got some beautiful weather for this time of year. 

My headers had arrived earlier in the week so today I did some test fitting.

Fits pretty good except for steering shaft

20181021_130520-600x1067.jpg

20181021_130529-600x1067.jpg

20181021_150248-800x450.jpg

20181021_150302-600x1067.jpg

20181021_150330-800x450.jpg

20181021_150347-800x450.jpg

Was thinking I could change the angle of the rack I cut some 22.5° spacers. 

It looks like it would work except the captive nuts would have to be tweaked or removed and another shim put in behind the nut

20181021_144113-600x1067.jpg

Looks good. You didn’t have to smash your #8 tube but the steering rack input is real close huh? Are you doing a third universal joint and DD shaft like me? My motor is 3/4” offset- where did yours end up? 

Nice out of the box thinking on the rack & pinion angle! A lot will depend on how you do your column and where that pokes thru the firewall.

1 hour ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Looks good. You didn’t have to smash your #8 tube but the steering rack input is real close huh? Are you doing a third universal joint and DD shaft like me? My motor is 3/4” offset- where did yours end up? 

Nice out of the box thinking on the rack & pinion angle! A lot will depend on how you do your column and where that pokes thru the firewall.

I did 1 1/8 offset, I may have to do something similar as you with the steering shaft but I haven't got that far yet. 

That’s awesome! Are you putting the rad in front of the rad support main U structure/crossmember? I set my motor back a mile farther but I always wanted to do an engine setback because I always thought they were cool and I’m a glutton for punishment.

I’m also doing an hhr fan- do you have room for a mechanical fan? That would be amazing.

793355D7-D552-43BA-AE14-A9A030F178BC.jpeg

Just guessing it looks like id have room for a mechanical fan. I'll do electric if i dont have room.

Im not sure what rad ill use just yet, i have looked at champion rads, im hoping to fit one in the u channel, just havent found one with an offset filler neck. Although i could move it to the side, id have to practice my aluminum tig welding skills on something else first.

What rad is that you have pictured?

My buddy and I traded the truck back and forth a few times. The radiator and tig welded aluminum brackets were something he added. I think it’s a champion or ebay type deal- certainly not a be cool or fancy $$$ rad. It was overkill for the 230 flathead. I’m hoping with a good shroud it will be enough for my big block. I got the biggest B&M trans cooler to stick in front of it too. It doesn’t have an oil tank in the bottom since it was spec’d for a manual trans application.

I found it fit the chevy HHR electrical fan and shroud perfectly and it also fits the rad opening perfectly in the sheetmetal. The drain is in a horrible spot and the centered cap is a pain too- I use a hose pressed onto a funnel to fill or top it off. 

There is a ton of room inside the grille- I’m sure you’ll come up with a good solution. 

6 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Hey Farmer- I was messing with that radiator out of the car last nite- got some foam rails installed to seal the sides of the shroud and mounted my B&M trans cooler on the front side. It's definitely a champion rad, 21"by 22" or so.

Cool, thanks!

I bought a replacement radiator that was for a 55 with a stock V8. You actually have to notch the top piece of the core support since it mounts 3" or so forward of the stock L6 unit. Plenty of clearance for a mechanical fan.

IMG_2469.JPG.bf8b86d23568db40c63051279412d911.JPG

• 1 month later...