need transmission linkage adjustment help

bosworth

My 51 B3B now has a newly rebuilt engine,  now I'm trying to work out the last of the bugs.  I have a column mounted three speed,  I often have difficulty finding first and reverse, I have taken up on the rod that I assume selects the rail for 1st and reverse.  the book says to take out all of the play then back off a turn.  I'm not sure just what is play and what is not.  I'm hoping that someone will have some words of wisdom on adjusting the linkage.  

Thanks;

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

1. Check the screws at the top of the column that hold the shifter arm. If these are loose, you cannot adjust the bottom linkage to work.  2. When you lift the lever for R - 1 at the bottom there is a yoke that lifts the selector. The shaft has a collar which that yoke lifts. The inside edges build up with iron hard oil/dirt. When that dirt gets wet, the yoke slips out of the collar and thus no R-1. It took me days to figure that out. I soaked that dirt and cleaned the collar, bazinga, all still works.

3. The linkage adjustments are approximate, if all is tight and clean the shift is very forgiving. Best to you. 

Turns out that I needed to crank down on the adjustment a little more.  I pulled the top off of  a spare transmission to see how the selector worked,  now she shifts nice and smooth. 

Thanks for the help!

Bill

• Thanks 1