1940 2 door Front end question

RickB

So I have a 1940 2 door Special Deluxe.  I found out that the front frame is very rusty.  Specifically the front cross member and the front A arms where the springs sit.  The holes in the front cross member are big enough to put your hand threw.  The rest of the frame is in good shape. I have a line on a 1946 4 door Special deluxe.  Going to look at it this weekend.  It is a whole car minus the motor and trans with a clean title.  My plan was to cut off the front end of the 46 and stub it to my 40. 

My question is are the 40 and 46 front ends the same?  Does it matter if its a 2 door vs 4 door?  Anything else I should be thinking about? This would be an "over the winter" project so I am in no hurry.  Also thinking I could recoup some of the cost by selling parts off of the 46.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

As a general rule a 2dr car is usually worth more than a 4dr version of the same vehicle due primarily to the fact that more 4drs were made than 2 drs..........as for doing a frame graft, I'd be doing some careful measurements and checking whether the frames are the same, I think that in general they are BUT I do know that from either 42 or 46 the front sway bar chassis mount is different which may mean the inner lower radiator sheet metal may need to be modified slightly...........from 1941 the stub axle and upper A arms are a different style so you will have to include the drum brakes from the 46 as well.......basically if you are a competent welder and can ensure that the new frame piece attaches correctly to the old frame then what you want to do is feasible...............tho' have you given any thought to repairing the rusted 1940 chassis then just installing the 1946 Upper A arms and stub axles as it gives you a much better choice of replacement parts as the stubs and A arms are the same 1941 to 1954, whereas only 1939 and 1940 are the same............just swap the 1941-1954, 1946 in your case, complete upper inner pin & bush, upper A arm and stub axle onto the 1940 frame, spindle and lower control arm.............which is what i did yrs ago............regards, andyd   

The 40 frame is quite different from 42 to 48  but the bodies are very similar except in the area below the doors.

I remember seeing a 40 body sitting on a 48 frame and it appeared to match up very well.  If you have both frames  you may find it more practical 

to  set the 40 on the 48 frame.   Front end parts are easier to get for the later models too.