Drivability in the mountains

DCurrent

Hello gents,

Its been a long while since I've posted. 

I drive my 48 plymouth with stock drivetrain on flat ground all the time and I'm looking to hear from those who have like cars that have driven them in the mountains often. How do you feel about their ability to do so? Is it ok to just drive these old Plymouths in the mountains often or done it once and wouldn't want to do it again type deal? Does the inline 6 have enough power to get up the hills good without shifting to first all the time?

Thanks

How have you been Don? Its been like 3 years or maybe 4. The wife and i have had a lot of bad luck with family the last 2 years. We both lost our dads and other family too. 

I haven't messed with the convertible for a while really. Taken it out every month or so just to keep it operable. We have some hard decisions to make and was wondering how the Plymouth would react to hill climbing frequently. If anyone would know, you would.

My 50 and 51 Plymouths do very well in the mountains.   Second gear Overdrive is great for long uphill grades.  I always lock the overdrive out for long downhill grades so I do not have to be on the  brakes too much.    Western grades  include Malahat Highway,  Duffy Lake Road, Coquihalla, Stevens Pass  Rogers Pass and the road up to Lake Tahoe,

• Like 3

I have a 218 engine, a standard three on the tree,  and 3:73 rear axle in my B3B truck. When properly tuned I seldom shift to 2nd. When I have to, I always recheck the timing and points. 

IMG_2634.JPG

Hi all,

My '39 Plymouth has its original 201 engine. Not sure of its internal wear but it does pretty well. The car does a good job in the mountains of Northern New England. Only downside is starting from a dead stop at the bottom of a long steep incline. I usually keep it in 2nd for a good bit until it gets up to around 35 MPH. At that speed when I shift into 3rd it has enough RPMs to slowly accelerate until I crest the hill. From a rolling start it's good. Sometimes I'm leading a parade at the top of the hill. They usually back off when I put it up to 50 - 55.

Pete

• Like 1

It is hilly here in southwest Virginia.      My 38 Coupe does very well in the curvy hilly areas.      The 5 speed makes a lot  of difference compared to the three speeds I hade used before.

The 3.73 is better than the 3.9 I had before.        I believe a 3.5 would be a better option for my Coupe....

Thanks gents for the replies. As of now i still habe the standard 3 speed but i bought a overdrive several years ago and i haven't installed it yet. Sounds as if i should do that to enjoy it more. I hate the fact that i can only do 55 60 comfortably on any highway to get somewhere.