Just bought a truck...

Wayner

Hey guys,

I’m a newb here and looking for any help with the purchase I just made. It’s a ‘54 truck, flat bed with the flat head 6. I know that they’ve been called “stake beds”, honestly don’t know how to tell the difference. Not sure what size engine it is. It ran 10 years ago when the previous owner parked it. Comes with a spare rear end as well.

My questions are:

How do I tell if it’s a 1/2 ton or larger?

How do I know what size engine I have?

What problems should I be aware of going forward? 

What kind of “upgrades” could I safely and easily do? (Brakes, suspension, etc...)

Any help would muchly appreciatied. Thanks 

B33BA85E-0D0E-469A-887A-8443705DCCE8.png

Welcome to the site. On the drivers door should be a data plate with a S/N and model info. Model number probably begins with a C.

If the rear axle is a full floater it is a 1 ton or larger. 

Welcome to the forum site. I've been a member here for only a few months, like you, having recently bought a truck, which I don't know practically anything about, and so far, have found the members here helpful and accepting of my newbie questions. Best of luck to you! ?

In  those days vehicles were titled by the engine number.  There are a bunch of threads regarding engine number location and decoding.  There should be an oval aluminum plate on the fire wall up high on the driver's side.  This will have an engine number which, hopefully, will be the same as the engine you have now  

From the engine number you might be able to determine the engine size.  Some '54s had a 218 and later ones had a 230.  Again the search function will help you figuring out the difference.  You cannot tell the difference by looking at the engine.

• 8 months later...

So after a year of waiting for the “right” time to get my truck home, I’ve finally got it home. Tried turning it over today but no luck. I believe my starter is seized. I’m getting power to it cause a thermostat cable touched it at the power node at the top of the starter and it arced. I don’t believe the motor is seized because in gear we’re able to move it, I may be incorrect in thinking this. If I am please inform me. I am gonna pull the starter tomorrow. If it is seized is it possible to rebuild without specific tools or will I need special tools to do so? Are there places I can find starters? Are there replacement starters that will work in its place? What else should I look for going forward? I’m new to this kind of setup. Every other “old” vehicle I’ve dealt with has been updated prior to my tinkering with it. Any info and guidance is greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you 

When my 230’s starter started to go I worked a half a can of wd-40 thru it and it started working again. I didn’t disassemble it at all. That was over 5 years ago and it has worked ever since. That stuff is more solvent than oil. 

Mine had been handling 12v for years too. 

“Turn my key, step on my starter
Take you riding in my car”

-Woodie Guthrie

Edited by Radarsonwheels