Speedometer lube time

Russell Winje

The cooler days have made the speedometer jumpy.  On the way to town this afternoon it was clear it was time to figure out how to get at the cable and lube it.  Looks more or less accessible by removing the 4 screw around the chrome face of the gauge cluster.  Would that be correct?

As Reg says reach under and unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo..........did this a few yrs ago with my car but just dripped a few drops of light oil & WD40 mixed together into the cable and held it up and let the mixture wick down between the inner & outer cable......wasn't a lot but it did seem to help....and yes it IS a messy job, would be even more so if you remove the inner cable..........the only way I'd remove the inner cable would be if I'd removed the complete cable from the trans and speedo and then taken the inner cable out on the bench, otherwise its a mess waiting for somewhere to happen.............lol...............andyd  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andydodge said:

As Reg says reach under and unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo..........did this a few yrs ago with my car but just dripped a few drops of light oil & WD40 mixed together into the cable and held it up and let the mixture wick down between the inner & outer cable......wasn't a lot but it did seem to help....and yes it IS a messy job, would be even more so if you remove the inner cable..........the only way I'd remove the inner cable would be if I'd removed the complete cable from the trans and speedo and then taken the inner cable out on the bench, otherwise its a mess waiting for somewhere to happen.............lol...............andyd  

Good tips.  I will proceed with rags and WD in hand

I'm voting to remove the 4 screws, disconnect the light bulbs - mine just pull out - take out the speedo, unscrew the lube cover and put several drops of light oil into the wick. I used my wife's sewing machine oil.

For the cable I'm on board with  complete removal, then flush with brake  cleaner, then re-lube with your choice of lubricant.

2018-09-30_10-55-32.jpg

Edited by FlashBuddy

The rear of the speedometer in my '48 Dodge does not look like what is shown above (stem that is unscrewed). I've lubed the cable using a graphite lube made for this application. Is there any other oiling point for the speedometer? Also suggest you use rubber gloves when dealing with the cable lube -- really messy stuff.

Edited by fmfarrisjr

3 hours ago, fmfarrisjr said:

The rear of the speedometer in my '48 Dodge does not look like what is shown above (stem that is unscrewed). I've lubed the cable using a graphite lube made for this application. Is there any other oiling point for the speedometer? Also suggest you use rubber gloves when dealing with the cable lube -- really messy stuff.

That's because the speedo pictured is a Dodge truck.  I'm not familiar what the same vintage car speedo looks like but I have see some with a felt covered hole that will take a couple of drops of oil.

50net,

If the speedometer functions, but the odometer doesn’t, it’s been my experience (with a '56 Chevy convertible, a '65 Pontiac, a '54 Pontiac) that the most likely cause for this condition is a compromise – either the teeth on the gear are damaged (most likely, as the one’s I’ve dealt with were plastic), or the driving worm gear’s worn (not as common).

Edited by DrDoctor

This is what the OP has to deal with at the back of the cluster!

Not very easy even if the cluster is removed.

The radio was removed to get this shot....

Dash Wiring C49 JH Town and Country (3).JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

This is what the OP has to deal with at the back of the cluster!

Not very easy even if the cluster is removed.

The radio was removed to get this shot....

Dash Wiring C49 JH Town and Country (3).JPG

I went to a posting you (Dodge4ya) back on May 17, 2015 (from an internet search) and figured out that if I gave the cluster enough slack by taking the speedometer cable loose at the transmission side I would have enough clearance, and do, to take the felt filled oiler out, lube the back of the speedometer and oil the felt and the top end of the cable and be back in business.  It was clear that the felt had not been oiled in the 49,000 mile life of the car and it took the oil readily.   WORKED!  Now off for the next test drive, and to see what is going to be on the list of checks next.  Thanks everyone.

I went to a posting you (Dodge4ya) back on May 17, 2015 (from an internet search) and figured out that if I gave the cluster enough slack by taking the speedometer cable loose at the transmission side I would have enough clearance, and do, to take the felt filled oiler out, lube the back of the speedometer and oil the felt and the top end of the cable and be back in business.  It was clear that the felt had not been oiled in the 49,000 mile life of the car and it took the oil readily.   WORKED!  Now off for the next test drive, and to see what is going to be on the list of checks next.  Thanks everyone. 

• Like 1

Good job... good preventive maintenance too!?