P15 Parts Identification

Eneto-55

I hope you all don't get tired of my questions.....  As I've mentioned before, I bought my 46 Plymouth in 1980, and it was already mostly dismantled (engine out & in pieces, possibly never having been installed in this car; front clip off & dismantled, etc), then I took more stuff apart, before leaving in for 35 + years.  Then the next year I bought a 49 (1st series), and pulled the (blown) engine, keeping the parts that were still good (the block had a good sized hole in the side).  Also, my brother & I also dismantled a couple of other post-war MoPars, so parts get mixed up after that many years.  And memory fades.....

I have two identical brackets of some sort here, each side shown below in the first photo.  One was quite pitted from rust.  I suspect both of these came with the 46, because I was working at a plating shop during those years, and didn't plate as many of the parts from the 49 as from the 46.  (Cadmium)  I've looked through the parts book (PDF from this site), and I can't find anything that looks like this.

Then the four springs.  I reckon that one of these must be the clutch fork return ("pull back") spring, but which one?  I guess I could just try them out different places, at least for the clutch return, but I don't know where the others might go.

The second one down from the top was considerably more rusted before I plated it, so it was probably under the car someplace, or maybe for the hood release return?

Any help is much appreciated!  (I know the top picture is rather blurry - I have a time trying to get my camera to get photos of these small parts in focus.  I should have also put the tape measure in that photo as well, but the whole bracket is about 4" or so long.)

HPIM0996-small.JPG

HPIM0998-small.JPG

Edited by Eneto-55
added note

Can't help with the top spring. Second spring looks like a e-brake return, linked to a piece of hard wire to the flat bar at the tunnel. Third, looks like throttle return, hooked to the hook at the base of the air cleaner support bracket. Low enough to clear the coil/wire loom mount. Fourth could be the hood latch return spring, under the mechanism at the front. The bracket looks familiar, but I don't know right now. The clutch return on my car is less than five inches long, and needs to be of a tension , somewhere in the middle of those pictured.

Thanks, Don.  So the third one down is about the right length for the clutch fork return spring, but not heavy enough, correct?

(I also have a "collection" of springs, but I know they are not from this car, because I just recently moved my Plymouth here to Ohio.  I guess I'm a pack rat - just trying to keep from becoming a hoarder.  But just a few days ago I did go looking for something that I must have tossed the last time I hauled off steel scrap....)

By the way, that photo of your engine has helped me several times already.  When I bought my 46, it was already in pieces, and the previous owner bought it the same way, so lots of small parts had already gone missing somewhere along the way.  I did tear down the engine out of the 49 P15 I have, but that was over 35 years ago, and I never had a really great memory (like my dad had, till he got Alzheimer's).

Here's another question, one of a different sort.  I know what this is, but wondered if anyone else has noticed the distinctions between different years or place of manufacturing on some of these cast molding pieces.  I do not know anymore which of these came from which vehicle, but my 46 was built late in the 1946 model run, in Evansville, and the 49 was early in the 49 year model run, built in Detroit.  I struggled to get decent photos of these moldings, with enough detail for you all to be able to see the differences you can easily see when looking at the parts in person (especially as I do, under a magnifying glass, due to my poor eye sight).

Notice the differences in details like the shape of the flag, the waves at the bottom, and the amount of relief.  The first one (photo # 0993) has deeper relief, with a smaller flag. [EDIT: the # 0993 photo is shown at the bottom in the way the site rendered this.] The parts do have the same part number cast into the inside of the back, but it is in different places, and the ribs and structural reinforcements are different as well.  I'm curious as to which of these was on the 46, and which is from the 49, and if these casting differences are due to the different years, or if the different manufacturing plants used different sub-contractors for these parts.

HPIM0995-small.JPG

HPIM0993-small.JPG

Edited by Eneto-55
Clarification

good catch on the difference..I will admit I never looked that close at these other than to inspect the finish....here is mine and sadly as it was not on the vehicle when I got the car as a project, I cannot attest to the application...actually this one was purchased separate of the deal due to its better overall finish....paint applied by myself after purchase...it has the smooth flag and the gently rolling waves....

IMG_2257.JPG

Well, I'll be doggone.    Just when you think you know most everything about a P15, someone comes up with a 

new thing........differences in that front of hood ornament......       Now I will have to go look at mine in detail.  

I won't have an original one to my car as all chrome had been removed before I found and purchased it.  

I think mine was built in Detroit and is a '47 model.   

• Like 1

(Well, I'll be doggone.    Just when you think you know most everything about a P15, someone comes up with a 

(new thing........differences in that front of hood ornament......       Now I will have to go look at mine in detail.  

(I won't have an original one to my car as all chrome had been removed before I found and purchased it.  

(I think mine was built in Detroit and is a '47 model.   

I found this pic in my album.......it also shows the letters U S A below the ship.............

101_8534.jpg

I think this one is currently on the car.......

100_0880.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

(Well, I'll be doggone.    Just when you think you know most everything about a P15, someone comes up with a 

(new thing........differences in that front of hood ornament......       Now I will have to go look at mine in detail.  

(I won't have an original one to my car as all chrome had been removed before I found and purchased it.  

(I think mine was built in Detroit and is a '47 model.   

I found this pic in my album.......it also shows the letters U S A below the ship.............

I think this one is currently on the car.......

100_0880.jpg

This is the one that has the rough waves, and a larger flag.  (My photos aren't as clear as yours, but the "USA" does appear on both of them.)  I've also noticed that the 2 center line hood ornaments I have are a bit different castings as well.  On the center line ornaments, I  can tell which one was on the Evansville 46, because there are bits of the ghastly green paint with which some previous owner had painted it (by brush).  I cannot find any paint like that on either of the ship ornaments, so maybe neither was original to the 46, or I had cleaned it off way back in the 80's.