Synthetic oil

Doug&Deb

kencombs,

It appears that I have the same point of view as you – “a belt and suspenders kind of guy”. When it comes to the oil in the engine, my sentiment is that if it doesn’t hurt – what’s the harm? I also use oil with zinc/ZDDP. And, I also use a lead additive, and an additive to counter the presence of ethanol, in the fuel that goes into our old Plymouth. Again - it doesn’t hurt – what’s the harm? And to those who have a differing opinion – everyone to their own opinion . . . Best regards to you, sir . . .

Edited by DrDoctor
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Belvedere,

I thank you for your cogent remarks, and for this civil discussion with you. With kindest regards . . .  

Thanks, Doc...I wouldn't have it any other way.  I thank you for the same. 

I have a small, part-time business, selling oils, lubes, conditioner, etc, so this subject is very interesting to me, and I try to stay informed.  I'm not a chemist or tribologist; just kind of an "oil geek", I guess. :)

One more thing concerning this topic: the base oils used in a motor oil are not the only thing that affects "leaks".  Every motor oil contains some type of seal conditioners, and the type/amount may work differently with some types of gasket/seal materials than others.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, T120 said:

Several years ago my son brought home a high mileage PT cruiser ( bought it cheap)  and parked it in my driveway. Underneath the engine wasn't spotless, but there were no annoying oil drips on the concrete. He gave the car an oil change and for some reason used synthetic oil, right away the car started  marking the area where he parked it. After awhile I moved it, cleaned up the driveway and changed the oil using a multigrade 10W30 conventional oil and this solved the annoying drip...So from that experience I would guess that maybe there's a larger proportion of big molecules than the smaller molecules in conventional motor oil. ? 

Thanks for your comments.  I'd be curious to know if the synthetic was also 10W30.  If it was a lighter weight, that would've had a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belvedere said:

One more thing concerning this topic: the base oils used in a motor oil are not the only thing that affects "leaks".  Every motor oil contains some type of seal conditioners, and the type/amount may work differently with some types of gasket/seal materials than others.

Belvedere,

I did not know that. See? Just goes to show – I’m not too old to learn something new. Regards to you . . .

3 hours ago, belvedere said:

Thanks for your comments.  I'd be curious to know if the synthetic was also 10W30.  If it was a lighter weight, that would've had a lot to do with it.

I don't know what viscosity of  synthetic oil was used. My son does use Shell Rotella 0W-40 synthetic in his equipment during winter for easier starting and switches to Shell Rotella 15W- 40 conventional engine oil during the summer... I've also found this subject interesting -  I don't use synthetic engine oil myself so I've never given it much thought. Years ago I bought a case of Esso Zero Artic for cold weather starts in the winter, it was a para synthetic blend and it worked very well. I only bought the one case and it's long gone.

Edited by T120

5 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Belvedere,

I did not know that. See? Just goes to show – I’m not too old to learn something new. Regards to you . . .

I  have discovered over the last couple of years that it is always possible to be old enough to forget pretty much everything.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, DrDoctor said:

kencombs,

It appears that I have the same point of view as you – “a belt and suspenders kind of guy”. When it comes to the oil in the engine, my sentiment is that if it doesn’t hurt – what’s the harm? I also use oil with zinc/ZDDP. And, I also use a lead additive, and an additive to counter the presence of ethanol, in the fuel that goes into our old Plymouth. Again - it doesn’t hurt – what’s the harm? And to those who have a differing opinion – eeryone to their own opinion . . . Best regards to you, sir . . .

You are spot on Doctor!  If anyone prefers to not take heed to protecting their engines perhaps will cry a river later when the ticking, sputtering, and power loss occurs from losing the use of a valve due to a lifter and lobe wearing away.  

It seems some folks know it better than the rest of us.  Including engine builders like myself that have seen this destruction happen.  And by the way "stock non high revving engines" were some of the few that perished.  To each there own.  I only give advise based upon in the field experiences, not based on what I "feel"....

• Thanks 1