steering box kit

jgreg53

What does this "rebuild Kit" consist of?

A bad worm or sector shaft can only require the same new. Very hard parts to find.

• 3 months later...

well, here goes.  I rebuilt the steering box with a kit from AB.  It came with bearings, cups, and brass bushings.  got it all back together and it fixed the play in the steering, but the steering is tight.  Will it loosen up a bit over time as the new bearings get worn in? Also My horn was working fine but now it doesn't work.  my steering wheel is the deluxe model with the single button in the middle.  I keep thinking there is a piece missing under the horn button.  Any Ideas?

• Like 1

Your steering may be tight because you have that "tightening adjustor screw" cranked down too tight.  

Been a long time since I messed with it, but I think it's that bolt with the star washers on top of the steering box.  

If this is not correct....somebody please correct me.   (One time I cranked things down real tight......made the steering wheel

hard to turn but really did not improve the worn steering system looseness.)  

BobT is partially correct.  You adjust the roller tooth (sector shaft gear) and worm (steering shaft worm gear) with that "roller shaft adjustment screw".  But if it's too tight, that won't necessarily be manifested in tight steering, it'll just wear everything out quicker.

Tight (stiff) steering is when there is not sufficient end play in the steering shaft worm gear.  This is right at "none".  If it is too tight, you need to install shims between the grease retainer cover and steering gear box body.  The shims are two thicknesses, .005 and .010.  I'm not sure where to get some, I already had some when I rebuilt my steering.  To check the worm bearing adjustment, turn the wheels to extreme right or left, then back 1/4 turn.  With your finger over the gap between the steering wheel hub and shell on the steering column, have someone shake the front wheels sideways, but not hard enough to turn the steering wheel.  You'll be able to feel in/out movement if it is too loose.  Of course, if it's too tight, you won't feel it move at all, but it will still need adjustment, or your work will not last very long.  I used turntables, others have simply put multiple layers of newspaper under the front wheels.  I don't know offhand if the cars weight needs to be on the wheels or not, otherwise I assume you can just jack the front wheels off the ground.  

• 4 years later...

I just rebuilt my steering box again with kit from AB. I had the box on the bench in the vice. I had zero play.  Put it all back together and in the car. Still have play and hard steering.  By the way,  what's the purpose of the washers an the  spring? i forgot to  put those on.

Edited by jgreg53

Through investigation I find that the play has more to do with motion in and out or up and down with the steering rod. It's as if something is missing

Between the upper a d lower bearings. I've been adding various shims behind the bearing races trying to take up the slack. In doing that, it becomes hard to turn.  When I put a vice grip on the end of the sector shaft and twist I can see the slack in the rod. Adding shims behind the end cover only increases the slack. Any ideas?