New Fuel Sender Question.....

Dennis Detweiler

I put a new tank and fuel sending unit in in my 39 Plymouth.  Before I put gas in it, I hooked up the battery and the fuel gauge went to full. So, I reversed the wires on the sender and it went back to empty. Then, I put 10 gallons of gas in the tank and the gauge needle moves from far left up to slightly past empty. When I turn the ignition switch off it bumps up a little then goes back to far left. With 10 gallons in it, the guage should read at least half full?

Edited by Dennis Detweiler
more info

14 minutes ago, TodFitch said:

I think 1939 was the first year for the two wire fuel gauge used through 1948. It takes a different type of sending unit that earlier or later cars, did you get the correct sender?

Thanks,Tod. I had no idea.

The whole car has been rewired and schematic made in the process. I've been on-line finding info on the guage. I looked at my wiring schematic and I did replace the three wires from the guage. It's a pretty simple wiring project, so I doubt anything is lacking continuity. Since the guage went to full on an empty tank and I switched the wires around, it should be showing at least an approximate half tank of fuel after I put in 10 gallons. I'm guessing the resistor or points aren't functioning on one side of the guage. As luck would have it (not that often), I found a NOS 39 guage still in the box on ebay. So, I bought it.