P15 transmission weight?

37silverstreak

Can anybody give me a rough idea on how much the tranny weighs on a 48 Plymouth? Is it doable by one person and a jack or am I gonna need help?!

Long story short, one of the little vent screens on the top of the flywheel housing was missing on my car and at some time, mister mouse decided to build his home in there. So now I want to pull the clutch disc and pressure plate to make sure I have all the stuff pulled out and inspect the parts. Thanks in advance!

Kevin

one arm curls are possible with the 48 Plymouth transmission...grab it, grunt twice and get 'er done...unless the mouse urinated on the clutch and caused it to seize..there is no way the mouse can bet between the surfaces.....and odds are centrifugal force has already cleared anything that could be within...and if not..its weight will be so negligible that out of balance would not be a concern in my thinking...

I've done it by myself....but I was much younger then.  Nowadays, I would recruit a helper for the task.  No point in risking injury, if you can find a willing set of muscles to help out.  And if you do pull the transmission, don't forget the gasket between the transmission and the bell housing when you re-install it, lest you will have a leak.

Edited by Oldguy48

Why not put the car up on jackstands,put it in neutral,drop the inspection pan that hides the flywheel,and then turn the drive shaft while looking in there to see if anything is there that shouldn't be there? Hell of a lot easier than pulling the trans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Why not put the car up on jackstands,put it in neutral,drop the inspection pan that hides the flywheel,and then turn the drive shaft while looking in there to see if anything is there that shouldn't be there? Hell of a lot easier than pulling the trans.

That's a possibility too, the car is already on jackstands. The thing is the car hasn't been driven in almost 30 years and I'm not sure what condition the clutch disc and throwout bearing are in. Right now the seats and dashboard are out of the car and I have removed the access panel in the floor, so I have the best possible access to everything. I also have the driveshaft and all linkages and parking brake cable off, so all thats basically left is the tranny itself. I will do what you suggest first though. 

How many bolts are on the inspection pan by the way? I was under there on Sunday scraping decades of crud off the housing, and so far have only found 2 bolts. I'm guessing there have to be more than that! Thanks to all of you for your input!

Kevin

What I do for transmissions, it takes a bit of time to set it up so need to be patient, take your time and have a cup of coffee.

I did this with a C6 Transmision for my old ford van a couple years ago, this is a big heavy trans.

I use 2 pieces of thick plywood, 3/4" is good. They only need to be 16" wide, maybe 24" long? What kind of scrap do you have lying around, if you are on concrete you could get away with one piece.

Then you need 3 or 4 short pieces of pipe inbetween the plywood. With the heavy transmision sitting on the plywood you can now roll the trans back and forth easilly.

Now you need to start blocking up the trans until you get it to the proper height, then you need to get it set to the exact angle as the motor.

When you get it set just right, you can use one finger and push it into place.

Do not try to get it close and then horse it in, will knock the trans off the blocks, get frustrated and have to start over.

Be patient and take your time, work smart & not hard.

Also if you have a bottle jack on the rear of the engine, I used a 2x4 across the oil pan iirc, then you can easily adjust the angle of the engine to match your blocking job.

I have done several transmisions like this out in dirt/gravel work areas.

Edited by Los_Control

15 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

these are nice,   also have the tall model for use with the lift..I have used both of them exactly once so far......I love not having to work a tranny...

image_11218.jpg

You can even get an attachment that can be used on your regular floor jack,but it is obviously not as stable as an actual transmission jack like yours with the wide wheels.

Then again,non a smooth cement floor,it doesn't really need to be that stable.

14 minutes ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

one person can lift the trans, i did it with my 1940 chrysler, its small compaired to current trans. if u can get a helper, thats a plus

I can get a friend of mine to help if necessary. I just helped him mount the rear bumper on his '59 Edsel Ranger so he owes me-LOL!! It's just tricky sometimes working out a time when we are both free, so I figured if the consensus was it could be done by one person I would at least give it a shot.

They weigh about 50# give or take.  I did mine with a trolley jack modified to hold and position the trans.  Also cut some heads off 3 inch long bolts to act as guides,I also used some Allen head cap screws on a long extension to start the upper trans to bell bolts once the trans was positioned.  It also helps to jack the rear end of the car so you aren't fighting the angle with just the front end jacked up. Just did an od which weigh about 25 more pounds.  Definitely not a one man job when those involved are 65+...

Failure was not an option. When I was young and foolish I never owned a transmission jack I just muscled out and in the transmissions including several automatics and car standard transmissions including this big 1600 series IH truck. All done with no help. I even dropped a slant 6 engine from a Dodge Van on the floor and slid it out from underneath. I picked up and carried a chevy 6 cylinder engine across the shop floor. But as I said I was young and foolish. Now that I am old and foolish I would probably get or fabricate a transmission jack.

18.jpg

On 9/26/2018 at 8:01 PM, 37silverstreak said:

That's a possibility too, the car is already on jackstands. The thing is the car hasn't been driven in almost 30 years and I'm not sure what condition the clutch disc and throwout bearing are in. Right now the seats and dashboard are out of the car and I have removed the access panel in the floor, so I have the best possible access to everything. I also have the driveshaft and all linkages and parking brake cable off, so all thats basically left is the tranny itself. I will do what you suggest first though. 

How many bolts are on the inspection pan by the way? I was under there on Sunday scraping decades of crud off the housing, and so far have only found 2 bolts. I'm guessing there have to be more than that! Thanks to all of you for your input!

Kevin

I can't remember for sure,but there are at least ,and probably . The two that fit up tight between the oil pan and the bellhousing are the tough ones to find because they are almost always thoroughly coated with oil and crud. You will probably have to do a lot of scraping with a screwdriver to find and clean them well enough to put a socket on them.

The ones on the semi-vertical are usually a lot easier to find and clean with a screwdriver blade,and the two on the outside rear corners are always easy to find.