Stuck Valve

Branded

Well I thought I had the rebuild on the 230 in the 49 Wayfarer behind me but that’s not the case. Developed a miss around 30 Miles, ran a compression test and #1 cylinder was dead. Pulled the side cover and saw the exhaust valve wasn’t dropping back down. I pulled the head and the exhaust valve is stuck tight. I’ll be pulling the manifold to gain access to the valve spring keeper. Probably buy a new valve also.

i most likely will be investing in a hand held valve guide reamer unless someone on the site has one to loan. Never ends with this ole cars , does it.

:=)

Dave

Edited by Branded

1 minute ago, 9 foot box said:

Were the guides installed, counter bore down on intake and up on exhaust? It could be why it stuck. Even the distribution tube has an effect on the exhaust valves.

Yes the guides was installed corrected, I have sneaky suspicion the guides weren’t reamed to spec after they was installed. Motor is coming back out this weekend.

14 hours ago, Branded said:

I have sneaky suspicion the guides weren’t reamed to spec after they was installed  

Probably exactly what happened.  Sorry to hear. 

9 hours ago, thebeebe5 said:

Probably exactly what happened.  Sorry to hear. 

I see your in Surprise Az, have a buddy that lives there in winter months, he is also in the old car hobby , , ,You may know him, Fred Porter

Edited by Branded