Giving up on the Carter and going to Stromberg

Dennis Detweiler

39 Plymouth: I rebuilt my Carter bb.  I set the float to specs and it flooded out. Reset it to a lower fuel level and solved that problem and got it started. It responds quickly when goosed and runs well above idle. However, it idles rough and can't adjust it to smooth out. The throttle shaft had too much play/wear, so I installed a new shaft when I rebuilt the carb. When I bought the car last year, I had to run the choke half shut to get it to run well. The vacuum pod was shot (sucking air), so I replaced it and only need the choke to get it started now.  I gave up on the Carter today and will try a Stromberg..  I have a factory rebuilt Stromberg BX0V-2 which is the proper size bore (2 11/16), but an electric choke. I stripped the manual choke linkage from a junker Stromberg and changed it to manual choke. I hope the Stromberg solves the problem. Any pro's or con's to using a Stromberg vs Carter?

8 hours ago, Dennis Detweiler said:

39 Plymouth: I rebuilt my Carter bb.  I set the float to specs and it flooded out. Reset it to a lower fuel level and solved that problem and got it started. It responds quickly when goosed and runs well above idle. However, it idles rough and can't adjust it to smooth out. The throttle shaft had too much play/wear, so I installed a new shaft when I rebuilt the carb. When I bought the car last year, I had to run the choke half shut to get it to run well. The vacuum pod was shot (sucking air), so I replaced it and only need the choke to get it started now.  I gave up on the Carter today and will try a Stromberg..  I have a factory rebuilt Stromberg BX0V-2 which is the proper size bore (2 11/16), but an electric choke. I stripped the manual choke linkage from a junker Stromberg and changed it to manual choke. I hope the Stromberg solves the problem. Any pro's or con's to using a Stromberg vs Carter?

Not that I can see if it solves your problems. It is the equivalent of the factory carb in flow,just a slightly different design.

I have the stock Stromberg on my '38 Dodge. She works perfectly, I don't even use the choke (other than below freezing). Three pumps and a little throttle on a cold start and she fires right up, no perculation or hot start issues either and I run the car in temps 20 to100.

I have a dual Edmunds intake and 2 Carters for the car, but the Stomberg is so trouble free that I can not bring myself to install them.

Another event that makes me lean toward the Stromberg; in the late 60's, I owned at 47 Ford coupe with dual Strombergs and Edmond heads (V8) that ran very well and the carbs were never an issue. I also owned a 69 Mustang with a 351 Winsor and I never could get it to run well after trying two stock Carters on it. I switched to a Holley and solved the problem. Maybe flukes, but I don't have much faith in Carter carbs. They seem to be a little less dependable or more sensitive  than the alternatives. Perhaps it's the design difference?