master cylinder upgrade to dual

concord2

7 minutes ago, concord2 said:

51concord dual master cylinder upgrade suggestions needed

I suggest you do it.

• Haha 1

On my 49 special deluxe I went with 1998 Ford Explorer master cylinder moved to the firewall, took the whole rear axle with disc brakes and disc brakes on the front. I made the conversion brackets myself and drilled the rivets to pull the drums off the hubs, drilled and pressed in studs too. The original wheels only fit with a 1/4 spacer behind them, so I’m probably just going to get some 16 inch steel rims and try to get the original hubcaps to fit somehow. Haven’t got that far yet.

7 hours ago, pflaming said:

I used a 97 Jeep Cherokee MC. I gutted the original and extended the push rod. Did the same thing on my truck five years ago, works great. 

IMG_6657.JPG

Is there some reason nobody seems to run a remote  reservoir so the top of the master cylinder isn't poking up above the floorboards?

the remote fill will require the two inserts that are pressed into the cylinder be formed to accept and seal the remote lines......these may be hard to find except for a few special applications    here is a chart that may help those so inclined to select the correct material for most all know fluids....

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the remote fill will require the two inserts that are pressed into the cylinder be formed to accept and seal the remote lines......these may be hard to find except for a few special applications    here is a chart that may help those so inclined to select the correct material for most all know fluids....

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart

What's to prevent anyone from using hard lines and making a steel or aluminum adapter to screw into the MC ?

Yeah,I can see where it is cumbersome to have a remote fill under the hood,and  how spills or overflow can strip paint from firewalls or blocks,but is that really any worse that having that big ugly-ass bump sticking up out of your floor for your feet to hang up on?

The simple fact that the original MC is also the mount for the clutch and brake pedals is what sold me. Now the reservoir, while above the floor line, IS behind the gas pedal and nearly under the seat so it is never an obstruction. If I had kept the original seats I could have moved the Cherokee MC further back but my bucket seats did not allow that. There is another Jeep MC that has a lower reservoir annd I could switch, but I won't. Once all is assembled and a nice carpet is in it will hardly be noticeable. I have fabricated a box cover for it as well. I'm a strong believer in keeping things simple. 

17 minutes ago, pflaming said:

The simple fact that the original MC is also the mount for the clutch and brake pedals is what sold me. Now the reservoir, while above the floor line, IS behind the gas pedal and nearly under the seat so it is never an obstruction. If I had kept the original seats I could have moved the Cherokee MC further back but my bucket seats did not allow that. There is another Jeep MC that has a lower reservoir annd I could switch, but I won't. Once all is assembled and a nice carpet is in it will hardly be noticeable. I have fabricated a box cover for it as well. I'm a strong believer in keeping things simple. 

I hope you post photos once it is all done.

33 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

What's to prevent anyone from using hard lines and making a steel or aluminum adapter to screw into the MC ?

Yeah,I can see where it is cumbersome to have a remote fill under the hood,and  how spills or overflow can strip paint from firewalls or blocks,but is that really any worse that having that big ugly-ass bump sticking up out of your floor for your feet to hang up on?

nothing prevents anyone on the average of doing an assortment of modification....machined elbows of proper diameter and O-rings could easily do the job...if the machined/cast boss is of the style for threading you can do that also.....or you can just select the correct master cylinder that is already set up for building custom cars with custom brake setups...cost a tad more but the engineering is already completed and tested....the lines and reservoir kits are not that expensive...these are available to read the specs on at a number of online web sites....even a quick check to e-bay will return styles and sizes for  your reading pleasure  Wilwood is just one maker with a variety of bores that is a very well known name for quality.

just remember that if anyone here plans to remote install a reservoir for the stock master on these cars that the vent hole in the corner of the fill nut MUST BE PLUGGED...

• Like 1

many of their kits are under 100.00 with lines and reservoirs.....very neat package that as stated, tested and proved...I think they have 6 different bores to establish the feel pedal you looking for...hard not to give these folks consideration when building a custom setup....

Knuckleharley. This is the current status of the floor. I may change some of the metal pieces when I weld it, fewer pieces, fewer welds. In some ways it's not too pretty, but in the end it gets covered. 

IMG_6901.JPG

Because I had three of them. I erroneously thought the 53/54 Suburban parts would sell because of scarcity. The catch is that not many car buffs are working Suburbans and not many were made to begin with. So. . . . I cut one up, sorry. 

Paul could spend $60-70 for a sheet (4'x8') for 18 ga. cold rolled sheet metal new and these old worthless parts were just wasting away being stored! ?

DJ

8 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Is there some reason nobody seems to run a remote  reservoir so the top of the master cylinder isn't poking up above the floorboards?

I ran remote reservoirs when I done my conversion, ECI Brakes supplied everything i needed 

11 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

many of their kits are under 100.00 with lines and reservoirs.....very neat package that as stated, tested and proved...I think they have 6 different bores to establish the feel pedal you looking for...hard not to give these folks consideration when building a custom setup....

Everything I saw was $279 and up. What did I miss?