Paint Marine blue

UK Les

Your local paint jobber may  have some old chip cards you can look at.  Be aware that most of the toners used to create that color are no longer available and there's nothing to say that the chips will still look the same 70 years later as when they were first produced.  There's some color libraries on the net as well, some references here on the forum as well, but they are subject to your monitor's interpretation of digital info received.  Your best bet may be in a search of some of the hidden areas of your car that may not have been exposed to Red but would have been exposed to Marine Blue during he original assembly of the car.

you best bet is to ask your painter (which could be yourself) what brand paint you wish to shoot...buy a modern color that is suitable to your eye and NOT pay for a paint that is not going to suit you due to the inability to mix the formulas as per original from the factory.  If anyone tells you they can do that...I would run far and fast...this stuff just NLA.....

I have a 1948 Dodge D25C, same paint code 4012.This is an old can of touch-up paint I use, Dulux 796. May be hard as mentioned to get an exact match.

1257917519_MarineBluetouch-up1948Dodge.JPG.5246440029571f13f3e9013440823c90.JPG1905301180_MariasPassU.S.Highway2.jpg.a6acf0f88eacc1d2f0f3138594f21b1d.jpg

12 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

T120....that has to be some very old stock...…..

Yes, it is old...still makes a sloshing sound in the can, not sure what reducers were added. This paint does contain lead .Last I used was probably 10 years ago, no problem with the colour match nor drying. ☺️ 

Years ago  wanted to paint a 39 Ply Aviator Blue, after many hours or going through paint chips at a local paint supplier found that Volvo Midnight blue was a perfect match.  The paint shop, buffed out the clear coat to reduce the gloss which gave it an original look with depth, has held up great.   Makes it easier to get touch up paint later if needed.  Only regret I have is, should of had the primer tinted color of paint.  

2 minutes ago, Richard Cope said:

.  Only regret I have is, should of had the primer tinted color of paint.   

Why is that?

a light gray epoxy primer was used, even the smallest ding shows up with the dark blue color of the car.  If the primer was the same color, wouldn't be as noticeable until repaired.  

Years ago the shop talked me into to installing an electrode system in which a small positive charge is maintained on the on the body.  It required 12 volt, therefore connected to a lawnmower battery in the trunk and periodically charge.  The paint looks as good today as it did 10 plus year ago.  It is garage kept, however no temperature control.  Don't know if the electrodes actually helped, or the shop just did a good job at painting. 

• Like 1

Tinting the primer helps hide scratches if they happen to go through the color coat and usually means a coat or two less of (more expensive) color coat to get full coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave72dt said:

Tinting the primer helps hide scratches if they happen to go through the color coat and usually means a coat or two less of (more expensive) color coat to get full coverage.

Thanks to you and everyone else that answered.