Emergency/Parking Brake

johnsartain

I'm curious as to what others have used part wise to set up their emergency/parking brake? I want to use the original under dash t handle in my 1950 B2B and connect it to my Cherokee differential. I still have the cables that were on the differential and the equalizer plate. I am most interested in what cable to use that would attach to the t handle and intermediate cabling to complete the set-up.

This is where my problem is. When I acquired the truck, someone had already scavenged the cable and housing, it was missing. Any chance of photos of the end where it attaches to the handle and its housing. I may have to fabricate if I can find something close enough.

for the record...the forward handle if still there will take any cable from mopar thought the 90's...actually I used the forward cable from a 2004 on the 1948 upgrade...I have found them to be almost the same termination and single bolt mount to the handle assemble....secret is the locking of the cable housing  at both ends so cable will not shift in either direction when inner cable pulled  And for the record...even if the newer terminal on distant end is ball verse slug...they still capture in either set up...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I got to looking at the handle set-up, it looks to use a 1/4 inch or so ball rather than a slug or barrel. It just needs to be long enough to go back under the cab a bit where I can faster it to a bracket. I an afraid to use the one on the flywheel dust cover  because I think its routing will need to keep some distance from the drive shaft.

Maybe something made to work just as you want??

Probably not the cheapest way but not way expensive, made as You want!   Check it out if you want to, just an alternative answer.

http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-cables-2/

DJ

49 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Maybe something made to work just as you want??

Probably not the cheapest way but not way expensive, made as You want!   Check it out if you want to, just an alternative answer.

http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-cables-2/

DJ

I may have to give up and go that route, I think I have found a cable that may work. At rock auto, 

RAYBESTOS BC93492  102" over all length, 59" conduit, fits a 75-77 Dodge B100 van.

Only pull-a-part, no one else allows people on their yards for insurance reasons. May be others that I haven't tried yet. Our pull-a-part is pretty stripped, all I have found is cables with barrel ends thus far. Lots of lever actuated with a clevis on the end. I may have a parts house that can get me one made to order though. It will be tomorrow before I will know for sure provided the right parts man is there. 

Edited by johnsartain

When I put the Dakota diff under my '53, I tried using my existing under-the-dash housing and the Dakota cable to the rear.  Problem was I could not get enough mechanical advantage to set the emergency brakes.  After lots of attempts that did not require lots of fabrication, I gave up and went back to the original parking brake. 

I did two videos on the e-brake set-up.

Maybe that will help you figure out what you need.

Tim aka 48 Dodger

Video One

Video Two

Video Three

Edited by 48Dodger

3 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Tim aka 48 Dodger

Video One

Video Two

Video Three

I will have a look at those for sure, That may be just what I need, Thanks!

On 9/25/2018 at 6:18 AM, 48Dodger said:

Tim aka 48 Dodger

Video One

Video Two

Video Three

Good Videos, Tim. Now I know what they look like.