1952 Coronet Transmission Question

AUG13

Hey guys, first time posting here and Im looking for some direction.  I got my Coronet at the beginning of summer, and have done some general maintenance to it to get it back to cruising.  Its got a 230 flathead with the fluid drive coupling into the gyromatic.  I have everything going great on it, and the motor runs like a dream.  I am at a loss though on getting the gyromatic to shift up into high gear.  Ive read all the forums I can find on it, and have done everything up to completely rebuilding the wiring harness, and still no shifting.  Im at the point to where I start replacing the solenoid, governer, etc, and I think it may be cheaper and less headache to go with a new tranny.  I would not mind a 3 speed, and I know that this was an option back in the day.  Problem is I dont know where to start looking to find one around here (middle of Kansas)  Any help or suggestions would be totally welcome.  Thanks!

IMG_0528.JPG?guid=messagepart%3AINBOX%2F17859-2&type=image%2Fjpeg&name=IMG_0528.JPG&size=143862&dsid=1778599597&clientId=A1B80E7A-CDB6-4CFA-8FB5-455368BF41C1

Hey fellow Kansan, welcome to the forum. I'm over here in Rossville. I had the same problem with my fluid drive. From what I understand these trannys are pretty bullet proof. Make sure the engine rpms are around 450 or so at idle or it won't shift. But the Gyromatic might be different. Someone will be along with more experience. Might check out this link

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Transmission/index.htm

Tom B

Edited by 48Windsor

I have a friend in Bucyrus   Jerry Elwood  who could offer advice.       PM if you need further contact info.

Disconnect the two wires from the trans solenoid and drive it.....let it up-shift... if it now will up-shift you have an transmission harness electrical wiring / solenoid or governor issue.

If it still won't auto  up-shift... idle too high.... trans 10W fluid level low or an internal transmission issue.....oil  pump... direct speed blocker ring and sleeve etc.

Note..... with the wiring disconnected from the trans if the trans does up-shift it will not down shift. You need to completely  come to a stop with the clutch pedal pushed in and wait up to 5 seconds at a complete stop...then transmission oil pressure will slowly drop to zero and you will feel it pull out of high gear. Then you came drive on again..

Make sure as just mentioned that  its out of high gear before backing up in reverse .

Thanks for your fast responses guys.  This will definitely be helpful in troubleshooting.  I also found the tech manual on these transmissions.  I'll get out there this week and do some investigating and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Remember that the 6 volt control wiring/solenoid and governor to the transmission only delays up-shifts and downshifts.

With out any electrical supply to the transmission if it's  mechanically correctly it will almost immediately want to up-shift as soon as you let off the gas.

This assuming a correct idle speed of 450-500 RPM.

Idle speed is critical. Download the troubleshooting manual from the Imperial website and follow the steps to troubleshoot the trans. I have a 52 Coronet also. Mine was my daily driver until the engine went. It’s being rebuilt so I can rack up more miles. The gyromatic is bulletproof and fun to drive when operating correctly.