Chassis number

Chris.c41
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

I've just bought a 41 plymouth coupe and the vin number doesn't match the title, it's already at the shipping yard ready to come to new Zealand but can't leave without getting this sorted. Was hoping one of you guys can tell me where the chassis number is so I can try matching it up that way, or is it possible it's an error by dmv? I'm all the way over here in new Zealand so some helpfuladvice would be great. Thanks 

I do not think this list exists.....similar list on internet and gives links to each state DMV but long reading and often confusing, not much in layman terms.  so, not putting you off but perhaps a call to your local DMV titling division will be able to outline the requirements specific to older cars and what numbers they accept on registering these cars if purchased from out of state owners who had no titling requirements.  I say this as Georgia did not and still will not title any vehicle 1962 and older....further, cars that are 1987 and older are not required to be titled...and if an owner did buy a car, registered it but chose not to transfer to title to save 18.00, then the vehicle is considered broken chain and even if he gives you the title when sold to you, his registration broke the chain and is suitable only for framing. (at least in this state, your state may not check out of state registrations and accept said title, might be a gamble and one where you say, did not know that, I do have a bill of sale)  Beauty of the titling process is reciprocity,  by mutual agreement each state abides by the laws of the other state in regard to DMV requirement but with a twist, other documents and possibly a bond.  So if you bought a 1955 out of Georgia. best you can get is a bill of sale and maybe a copy of the registration of former owner...that is all that is required to sell and all the new owner needs from the seller to register and most likely your state will run the numbers against the hot sheet as they often always require a special form from your state for police officer to verify the numbers and run against national theft hotsheet...come back clean..you should be able to register.  Some state, I know make it a long drawn out process...some states this is little as 4 hour process on a busy day with title printed and issued to you same day.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

17 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I do not think this list exists.....similar list on internet and gives links to each state DMV but long reading and often confusing, not much in layman terms.  so, not putting you off but perhaps a call to your local DMV titling division will be able to outline the requirements specific to older cars and what numbers they accept on registering these cars if purchased from out of state owners who had no titling requirements.  I say this as Georgia did not and still will not title any vehicle 1962 and older....further, cars that are 1987 and older are not required to be titled...and if an owner did buy a car, registered it but chose not to transfer to title to save 18.00, then the vehicle is considered broken chain and even if he gives you the title when sold to you, his registration broke the chain and is suitable only for framing. (at least in this state, your state may not check out of state registrations and accept said title, might be a gamble and one where you say, did not know that, I do have a bill of sale)  Beauty of the titling process is reciprocity,  by mutual agreement each state abides by the laws of the other state in regard to DMV requirement but with a twist, other documents and possibly a bond.  So if you bought a 1955 out of Georgia. best you can get is a bill of sale and maybe a copy of the registration of former owner...that is all that is required to sell and all the new owner needs from the seller to register and most likely your state will run the numbers against the hot sheet as they often always require a special form from your state for police officer to verify the numbers and run against national theft hotsheet...come back clean..you should be able to register.  Some state, I know make it a long drawn out process...some states this is little as 4 hour process on a busy day with title printed and issued to you same day.

Thanks.  The deal is that I bought a 49 P15 in Nebraska back in 1981.  I didn't care about not getting a title at the time, because it was just a parts car to me.  But it's a solid car, and now I'd like to eventually get a title for it.  I did a title search in Nebraska around 10 years ago, and they didn't find anything.  This thread just got me to thinking about running it again, but this time with the frame number.  (I do not have the block anymore, as it was blown when I got it - scrapped it way back when.)  When I did the title search, I didn't know that some states didn't use the Serial Number, so never thought about getting that information, and also didn't know then that the engine number was also stamped on the frame. 

All I have on it is a receipt, and it was not notarized or anything like that.

Edited by Eneto-55

The frame serial number (which is the same as the number on the original engine) on my 1947 Plymouth is on the

driver side frame rail, toward the top edge of it, about six inches in front of the gas tank filler neck.  It is stamped into the

frame, so you will probably need a wire brush to knock off accumulated road grime and perhaps paint.  It should start

with the model designation of your car...........mine begins with "P15" followed by more numbers.

I feel if you have an original bill of sale on hand with any of the identification numbers on the vehicle in original fixed position and method of attachment is undisturbed, (spell this as original rivets unaltered) get inspection sheet from DMV and ask for their help in regard to other possible requirements, with the inspection form filled out, officer verify and attesting to said number, you should be golden given it is not on the hotsheet...anyway, this would be my starting point...good luck...