1948 Dodge Deluxe Coupe Rear Seats

Norm Knowles

Need some help and advice.  Need to remove old beat up seat covers from rear seat.  Got front ones out.  1st what do you remove first Backrest or seat cushion?  2 as I do not wish to damage the original upholstery, which appears to be in very good condition, any tips on the procedure would be appreciated.  I have tried ways I suspected would work but the force with my hands seems to be more than it should be and any more may cause damage.  3 is the seat cushion one piece right to the floor or is it divided?  The old cover does not let me see which.  Thanks for any help.

33 minutes ago, Norm Knowles said:

Need some help and advice.  Need to remove old beat up seat covers from rear seat.  Got front ones out.  1st what do you remove first Backrest or seat cushion?  2 as I do not wish to damage the original upholstery, which appears to be in very good condition, any tips on the procedure would be appreciated.  I have tried ways I suspected would work but the force with my hands seems to be more than it should be and any more may cause damage.  3 is the seat cushion one piece right to the floor or is it divided?  The old cover does not let me see which.  Thanks for any help.

Every one I have ever seen is removed by pushing directly rearward on the seat bottom,and then picking  up the front of it once it has unhooked from the clips on the floor. Then you can see the 2 bolts at the bottom of the rear half. Remove the bolts and slide it directly up so the seat back unhooks from the clips at the top.

• Like 1

Right.......what he said.  There might possibly be a bolt holding the bottom cushion clips in place.  Get a nice

bright light and look at the front bottom edge of the seat.......see if there are two metal tabs or loops with

bolts.  If not, just apply pressure to push the cushion to the rear and up......it is held in place by spring type pressure.

Edited by BobT-47P15

Thanks for the help guys.  With a friends pair of hands helping we got them out and as suspected the original with a good vacuuming look almost like new.  They did come the way you said.  Thanks again.  Will be on the road when I get the new fuel pump early next week.  Sure looking forward to driving the old girl.