A place that will chrome plastic.

casper50

1 hour ago, casper50 said:

Found this site today while searching for something else.  I remember some members wanting to know where to get their plastic/pre plastic parts plated.      http://chrometechusa.com/automotive-interior-plastics.html

It's just paint,right?

I think at least some of this is some sort of metalizing process, than it may be normal chrome plating after that.  I tore up a plastic faucet that had a really convincing chrome finish, and it seemed to have a copper plating on the plastic, then chrome over that.  (Probably with nickel between, my guess.)  When I peeled off the chrome, it had the feel of metal to it.

21 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

I think at least some of this is some sort of metalizing process, than it may be normal chrome plating after that.  I tore up a plastic faucet that had a really convincing chrome finish, and it seemed to have a copper plating on the plastic, then chrome over that.  (Probably with nickel between, my guess.)  When I peeled off the chrome, it had the feel of metal to it.

Thanks,I wasn't aware of that possibility.

I think plastic chrome interior trim used a vacuum deposition process. I did also see a while back on an episode of My Classic Car a company that used a metallized substrate and then regular chrome plating on plastic and fiberglass exterior parts such as bumpers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, casper50 said:

Found this site today while searching for something else.  I remember some members wanting to know where to get their plastic/pre plastic parts plated.      http://chrometechusa.com/automotive-interior-plastics.html

link failed to open for me....?

I think there is a company doing the plastic chroming in or near St. Louis, MO.   

At one time, they were a regular metal chrome shop, then made a change to plastic.  

I can't now recall the business name or exact location.....probably a google search might

locate someone there. 

Model cars have had chrome plated parts since the 1950's, mostly they have been a vaccum plated process, however in the past 10/15 Yrs a couple of companies have been using what is essentially the same method used to plate metal parts............the reason this became evident is that modellers used to soak their kit plated parts in various liquids such as bleach to remove the vaccum plating, then sand and clean up the plastic part then send the parts to places such as Chrome Tech who would mount the parts onto a plastic sprue or tree in an inconspicuous spot, chrome plate the parts and send the parts back.........this was done especially if you intended to enter your model in shows as you wanted the best plating possible..............when some companies started to use a different type of chrome plating process in their model kits which meant that to remove the chrome you had to basically reverse the same process that is used to plate real car metal parts.........modellers were not happy as it became almost impossible to remove the chrome easily...........www. chrometechusa.com have been offering a plating service to modellers for probably 30 or more years and have a very good reputation............they currently advertise in Scale Auto Magazine and are often mentioned in articles in the magazine................I have been building models for over 55 years, operated my own hobby shop for 20 yrs and ran a model show for 15 years...the shop  website has a mind of its own and whilst I no longer have any stock nor do I sell or trade you maybe able to view it still or maybe not..........lol........ www.scaleautomobilia.com.au ...........regards, Andy Douglas. 

Edited by Andydodge