Engine Timing for a D42 flathead

SteveR

I have a 1937 Plymouth P4 with a D42  flathead 6, I believe that gives her a 1952 engine. She has new electronic ignition and been converted to 12 Volt. Could someone tell me what the proper timing and RPM should be?

I set mine until it pinged and backed it off a couple of degrees.  Ended up about 5 deg BTDC.  You didn't mention what electronic conversion you have, if you converted your old distributor make sure the vacuum advance can is not leaking.

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

Thanks Adam for your reply. I am not sure what electronic conversion I have. I have just bought the car and the person I purchased it from did the converting. At what RPM were you running when you did the timing? Also which side is the timing marks on? I presume the driver side but its hard to see on this car.

Adam, Thanks for the photo. I went to have another look at the timing marks. The wind was blowing quite briskly and as I had my head in the engine the wind ........... You guessed it Those hood doors are heavy! Oddly I didn't get a bump but it was enough to say that's enough for today. :o)