Partial rebuild

meadowbrook

Hi !

see attached my pics of the engine in my 50 Meadowbrook.

Ive mentioned before that it started to make a clicking noise and lost compression on number 4 cylinder.

I pulled the head and saw that this piston lost some of the material above the top ring and that explained the compression loss. I also noticed some debris was stuck to the piston, but maybe it was smashed in and not melted in. I never heard detonation.

Anyway, the cylinder walls are all glass smooth so I think is will disconnect the rods, pull them with the pistons, hone the cylinders and get new pistons, maybe try to lap the valves but not pull the engine. The oil pressure has always been to spec so I assume the bearings are ok.

Any thoughts?

1B03316F-5AC1-457E-8E87-90E003BAA311.jpeg

4FAA1534-94B8-4B0E-B385-CE7B72C5399A.jpeg

5B5A1148-1711-4763-883B-3E29B143E788.jpeg

mic' the crank journals when in there...verify that when you remove the rods and pistons that when going back in, new inserts will be in spec....I would say that new bearings are a cheap insurance against failure and give you time and energy doing the repair an increase in longevity.

• Like 1

It is amazing that they run so well when in this condition.  The piston Don has shown has had new rings installed at some point. It could have given more service (maybe) if a  Hastings GL spacer was placed above the top ring bringing the top groove back to ideal specs.  when the bore is tapered the top ring is vastly overworked and needs all the support it can get.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

mic' the crank journals when in there...verify that when you remove the rods and pistons that when going back in, new inserts will be in spec....I would say that new bearings are a cheap insurance against failure and give you time and energy doing the repair an increase in longevity.

I agree. You already have the car off the road and the engine almost completely disassembled,you already have a gasket kit,so why not save yourself future grief and money by checking it all and doing anything that might need to be done while you have it apart?

While you are at it,have the crank and rods checked for straightness. Seems to me there is a strong possibility the engine has had some detonation problems in the past. Making sure the crank and rods are straight just makes sense.

The one thing I hate more than anything else in the world is having to do the same job twice because I didn't to it right the first time.

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

It is amazing that they run so well when in this condition.  The piston Don has shown has had new rings installed at some point. It could have given more service (maybe) if a  Hastings GL spacer was placed above the top ring bringing the top groove back to ideal specs.  when the bore is tapered the top ring is vastly overworked and needs all the support it can get.

Never even heard rumors about such a thing before.

Learn something new every day.

Thanks!