Pinion seal number 1949 Chrysler New Yorker, 8 cyl

Russell Winje

Moving right along with making sure my 1949 Chrysler New Yorker, 8 cyl, presto  matic is road worthy I added oil to the rear end.  Now I see that the pinion seal is worn and it is not clear what number will replace it.  Any ideas?  the specs on the car are VIN number is: 7099948, Model Code C46-2

And again, thanks for all the advice on previous questions.

The original MoPar # is 619129....1946-50 Chrysler 8 cylinder only cars.

I have never been able to cross it directly to a modern seal by number.

Try George Bachleda at Ol Car Bearing 910-693-3324 in Southern Pines, NC  right outside Ft Bragg

The OD is too large on that SKF 22610...AKA  Mopar #1327893 seal. 

It Fits certain 1951-52 Dodge DeSoto and Chrysler cars.... not the 1950 and back Saratoga, NewYorker, 7 pass and station wagon cars.

The old National seal # is 5745...... SA 619129 .....it  will fit your 49 NewYorker. AMS in Georgia  has this seal.

You might need a speedi-sleeve too if the yoke is grooved.

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The OD is too large on that SKF 22610...AKA  Mopar #1327893 seal. 

It Fits certain 1951-52 Dodge DeSoto and Chrysler cars.... not the 1950 and back Saratoga, NewYorker, 7 pass and station wagon cars.

Then it is SKF18880, universal for all 37-54 with exception of some 51-54 De Soto and Chrysler

That (SKF18880)  fits light 6 cylinder chassis cars only...Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler. P15/P23, D24 etc.

It won't fit  the heavy chassis 8 cylinder cars.... 1950 and back...

The eight cylinder LWB Imperials(145")  use even another seal ! That one is easy to find.

• Like 1

C39, C46,C49 are all NewYorkers and Saratoga 8 cylinder cars.

And yes the multi-year parts book is not too clear on some lines of cars?

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Try George Bachleda at Ol Car Bearing 910-693-3324 in Southern Pines, NC  right outside Ft Bragg

Well, I called George and he has the seal on the way!  Thanks.  He also has various other bearings for the same rear end if I find I need them.  Thanks!  You may recall that I had issues with a rear wheel lock up with this rig.  That led me through the sounds the car made, and filling the rear end, thus finding the leaky pinion seal.  Now I will check the play for the pinion shaft before I proceed further. 

George is a good guy!

Glad it worked out.

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

George is a good guy!

Glad it worked out. 

yes, and he is quite precise.  He has two sizes and wants me to pull the old one to get exact measurements then he will send the right one out.  Next I am having difficulty finding the right U joint for the rear.  Figure I should replace it while I have the car down.  Any thoughts on part numbers for that?  Thanks, Russ

That 8 cylinder U-joint is a  very very hard part to find sorry to say.

The proper MoPar  U-joint # is 947551

A lot of Chrysler straight 8 parts are tough to find.

The OD of your pinion seal is 3.170"-.172"............... I measured a NOS MoPar rear pinion  seal # 619129 I don't have the yoke to measure.

That should be enough for him to get you the correct seal.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:48 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

That 8 cylinder U-joint is a  very very hard part to find sorry to say.

The proper MoPar  U-joint # is 947551

A lot of Chrysler straight 8 parts are tough to find. 

I wonder then if there is a modification one can make to replace such a U joint? 

On 9/20/2018 at 7:30 AM, Russell Winje said:

Well, I called George and he has the seal on the way!  Thanks.  He also has various other bearings for the same rear end if I find I need them.  Thanks!  You may recall that I had issues with a rear wheel lock up with this rig.  That led me through the sounds the car made, and filling the rear end, thus finding the leaky pinion seal.  Now I will check the play for the pinion shaft before I proceed further. 

The seal is perfect.  Fits, works.  I even got the front pinion bearing, which ended up not needing, so now have a back up bearing if I need it in the future, or someone else does. Thanks again for the input.  Filled the rear end and road off to town for a trial run and all works well.

• Like 1

As for the U-joints.... they are out there on ebay... that's where I've found them and at swap meets.

I've never just been able to find just like that.

Old cars take time unless you do the Summit or jegs trip.

Not me!

Is you're rear  u-joint bad... have you taken it apart to feel/look at it?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Is you're rear  u-joint bad... have you taken it apart to feel/look at it?

Thanks for the input.  I did check the U joint and it is OK.  Just old habits.  When I get a used car and do anything related to the drive line I just out of hand change the U joints out so I don't do it on the road, and have when I as a kid, once.  I'm back to taking the 35 mile round trips to town from our farm to see what makes noise, what brakes do and so forth.  Love the car, have to say.  So clean as to the interior.  I plan to get the power washer to the underside this weekend and get a cleaner look under it to learn. 

• Like 1