Underhood lamp where installed

Thomba48

I know. A very essential and important question that I am raising here ?. I know. But interesting to me nevertheless. (is also an indication for the fact that the big tasks are getting fewer and fewer, finally).

This is an underhood lamp similar to the one displayed in the accessory folder for our Plymouth. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-1940s-1950s-Chrysler-Dodge-NOS-MoPar-Plymouth-DeSoto-UNDERHOOD-LAMP/362162480096 Where would that be screwed to? A picture would be nice ?

Thanks/ Thom

I would say that this type of mercury lamp would have to be install on the allegator style hood and not on the side opening or butterfly style hood.  i have a factor mopar under hood lamp for my 39 Desoto that mounts onthe firewall and there isa rod that pushes the lamp down when the butterfly hood is closed.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2018 at 2:28 AM, desoto1939 said:

I would say that this type of mercury lamp would have to be install on the allegator style hood and not on the side opening or butterfly style hood.  i have a factor mopar under hood lamp for my 39 Desoto that mounts onthe firewall and there isa rod that pushes the lamp down when the butterfly hood is closed.

Rich Hartung

Excellent, I have the same push-down model. Where on the firewall did you mount yours? The horns seem to be in the way.

Photo maybe?

The under hood light Rich mentioned is probably the same as fitted to my 48 Dodge D25 (alligator style hood). The MoPar Part No. is 1232607. Although the box shows side opening hood, this light was supplied when the car was delivered to the original owner.The cost as listed on the original invoice was $1.75. The lamp is spring loaded and tilts up when the hood is raised as shown in the photo. As per the instructions, the position of the lamp is the same for both types of hood. I cut the wire to the lamp as the insulation was deteriorated. It wouldn't be difficult to replace the wire, but these days I require a bit more light  than this lamp would supply when I'm working under the hood.?

MoPar Underhood Light Part No.1232607.JPG

Hood Light.JPG

26 minutes ago, T120 said:

The under hood light Rich mentioned is probably the same as fitted to my 48 Dodge D25 (alligator style hood). The MoPar Part No. is 1232607. Although the box shows side opening hood, this light was supplied when the car was delivered to the original owner.The cost as listed on the original invoice was $1.75. The lamp is spring loaded and tilts up when the hood is raised as shown in the photo. As per the instructions, the position of the lamp is the same for both types of hood. I cut the wire to the lamp as the insulation was deteriorated. It wouldn't be difficult to replace the wire, but these days I require a bit more light  than this lamp would supply when I'm working under the hood.?

Yes that one.  Picture on box seems misdrawn, or did they shorten the rod? Anyway it can't sit in the middle like yours. Light will only be on left side. Thanks for the photos.

This is the installation instruction sheet for the under hood lamp. It does mention position of the lamp on the firewall on the oil filler side and adjusting rod length as required.... You can tap, Crtl +, on your keyboard to enlarge the image. 

Underhood Light Installation Instructions.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, T120 said:

This is the installation instruction sheet for the under hood lamp. It does mention position of the lamp on the firewall on the oil filler side and adjusting rod length as required.... You can tap, Crtl +, on your keyboard to enlarge the image. 

Just what I need. Thank you very much. Appreciate it.

Something I should mention is that I would not recommend buying one of these under hood lights expecting it to work. The chances are very good the mercury switched lamp socket is no longer working. The lamp would have to be modified using a different socket and perhaps a manually switched, fused supply. 

given the lamp works with the mercury switch...location will be based on the angle of the hood when open fully for best access for maintenance.  The distance to the area you wish to shed the most light should be centered on the distributor...mount so the beam focal point will be there...you will automatically get a ever widening beam as it travels further from the bulb/reflector.  Point maintenance is usually the most common check under the hood followed by oil which is by the way, right at the distributor

5 hours ago, T120 said:

MoPar Underhood Light Part No.1232607.JPG

Hood Light.JPG

Yes this is the under hood lamp that I was talking about. i have a NOS one in the original box like that is shown and a non working lamp becasue as you have stated that the mercury might have dried up/

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thomba48 said:

By the way I found a guy in Calgary. He still selling two NOS ones for 65 CAD each. Thom

As I mentioned regarding N.O.S. under hood lights of this type...Chances are the mercury switched lamp socket is no longer serviceable and the light won't work as designed