Loud Starter on my 48 Plymouth

Cold Blue

I see you guys were talking about starters; I have installed, quite a while ago, a new 12 volt starter when I converted my Plymouth over to 12 volts. I starts just fine, but sure seems awfully noisy! Press the starter button and the noise is quite obnoxious, but she starts right up. Maybe I am used to quiet starters on new cars???

41 minutes ago, Cold Blue said:

I see you guys were talking about starters; I have installed, quite a while ago, a new 12 volt starter when I converted my Plymouth over to 12 volts. I starts just fine, but sure seems awfully noisy! Press the starter button and the noise is quite obnoxious, but she starts right up. Maybe I am used to quiet starters on new cars???

Can you describe the loud noise? Does it sound like someone is trapped in there and shrieking in pain?

Have you checked the gear to flywheel contact to see if it is too tight? You can get spacers with different thicknesses to adjust engagement play between the starter gear and the flywheel.

• Like 1