Axle switching

Ajgkirkwood

So here’s what’s going on. On my Chrysler I like to get better highway gears. I came across a 1960 Plymouth fury rear axle. Was hoping to drop it in but after some research I don’t think I can as my axle is 60” 5x4.5 and my leaf spring mounts would be 47 where the fury is 55.5” 5x4 and spring mounts is 45.5?

so this leads me to is could I take the gears from the fury and put into my axle?

Fury should be 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern.  You are quoting an A body dimension and the Fury is not an A body.   Axle dimensions are hard to come by for the forward look era and often if found is backing plate to backing plate....seriously think you need to get a tape on that donor and do a few measurements...

oh, answer to switch internals...no that 1960 is the first  year 7 1/4 axle, whole different beast altogether...with the above dimension and axle bolt pattern you quoted, definitely the Valiant axle...definitely NOT Fury...in '60 Fury would have the 8 3/4 with 4.5 BP and tapered axles. 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

oh, answer to switch internals...no that 1960 is the first  year 7 1/4 axle, whole different beast altogether...with the above dimension and axle bolt pattern you quoted, definitely the Valiant axle...definitely NOT Fury...in '60 Fury would have the 8 3/4 with 4.5 BP and tapered axles. 

What you said is good for me. He said it was about 53.5 from backing plate to backing plate. And 45 or so between centres of the spring mounts. I’m hoping if this axle works to take the hub and brakes of my axle and put into the fury axle

the brakes would be way to small for  your Chrysler....these will be 9" at best......you are trying to make do I know with what you have and what is available...but..in the end you will have heartache...the brakes will bs sub standard and AGAIN you are talking 5x4 on the small rear gear and you need 5x4.5 on the larger Chrysler.....so if I understand you correct in what you want to exchange......you just do not have compatible parts possible retro of the larger Chrysler brakes to the smaller axle (7 1/4 actually fitted with 10 in later years) the axles of the A body will not be wide enough, cost to change bolt pattern great and even if you got a later A with 8 3/4 5 x 4.5..the width is still way too narrow.  

backing plate to backing plate is a nonsense number on retrofit....you need to know the track....the offset  of your wheels if retrofitting and going with any proposed offset...WMS to WMS is the true number you need if sticking with stock wheels....the very later axles has larger brakes and the backing plate to backing plate is the changing number here as seen if  you change these around axle to axle....the WMS stays constant.....

At this point I would look for a modern axle without tapered ends for ease of maintenance.  8" Ford, early mustang / Maverick/Falcon is a good fit, better brakes.  8.8 Explorer, 7.5 Fords and other Mopar axles.

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

if you have a Fury...you 5 x 4.5    if you have access the 55.6 axle as you stated above with the  5 x 4.0, that is an A body....the Fury in those years are forward look and more in tune to the C body cars... (not till years later did the 8 3/4 go A body) and again, too narrow for the Fury.....you would need adapters or mega negative offset wheels...

unless there is something different from the information you posted above...these are basically the facts....Fury was NEVER in the A-body line up....The Dodge Dart of the era was the only model to share all three platforms, A, B and C

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, Ajgkirkwood said:

So here’s what’s going on. On my Chrysler I like to get better highway gears. I came across a 1960 Plymouth fury rear axle. Was hoping to drop it in but after some research I don’t think I can as my axle is 60” 5x4.5 and my leaf spring mounts would be 47 where the fury is 55.5” 5x4 and spring mounts is 45.5?

so this leads me to is could I take the gears from the fury and put into my axle?

the only thing I can add here is that you are being given wrong information from the seller....mainly the 5 x 4 bolt pattern....only the A body cars have this....if he has fed you wrong info and you posted it here the very answers you get will be based SOLELY on the information you posted......

per the  online charts for the Chrysler...we have this data...

WMS to WMS                                                                    Model Year                                                                          Application

1937-1948      

All Mopars

you need to confirm the WMS to WMS of the donor axle you considering, the bolt pattern for certain, perch width ctr to ctr  and for driveshaft...there is the center of axle to center of u-joint measurement to consider...these can be significant to the point that you may bottom out the forward yoke...

Here is a link to my web page with axle dimensions:  http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=1023

If you can provide some accurate dim's from your Chrysler I'll add them to the list as a line item.

1964 was the last year for the tapered axle with the 'nut' on the 8¾; the 7¼ had a 'normal' flange.

You can, and should expect to change spring pads to match your car.

As Plymouthy said, if your donor has 5 on 4" wheel studs you will not find it suitable.

Late model axles, Explorer/Cherokee, have multiple advantages and should be considered.

Edited by wayfarer