48 Dodge Starter Question

Hibish

My 48 Dodge Custom started giving me starting problems about a month ago.  I took out for 20 minute drive, parked it the driveway, 10 minutes later went to move it in the garage and just hear clicks.  Battery less than 1 year old and tested OK.  Connections test OK via volt meter.  I believe I have eliminated electrical.  Banging on the starter worked a couple of times to get it started, but no longer works.  Replaced the starter relay since it was cheap.  Started 5 times in 2 days, then 3rd day more clicks.  Jumped from battery directly to starter and still nothing.  Presumed starter was bad.  I pulled the starter out and bench tested it and it spins in the right direction seemingly fast every time.  Has me wondering if it's really the starter.  One thing I noticed, and is my question finally, is the bendix spins but doesn't retract/snap forward at all - it seems forward all the time.  Other more modern starters I have bench tested do this.  I don't know much about these old ones - should the bendix drive fore/back when bench testing it?

20180917_140154.jpg

If it is not brushes that need replacing, one of the next most common problems is the bushings wear oval. This will allow the armature to drag against the field coils when the solenoid closes. This causes so much resistance that power drops quickly.  They are replaceable.  Some times heat from resistance will melt the solder in the armature windings.  Pull it out, check the brushes, then check the bushings.  if you see evidence of melted solder you are likely looking for a new starter.