1941 Plymouth Starter MZ-4089 parts needed

Quest Master

I have a 1941 Plymouth P12 with a Chrysler Autolite MZ-4089 Starter. I believe the armature has now gone bad. I have tested it with a Fluke Meter and I have connectivity between the Commutator Bar and the Armature shaft, which indicates a short inside of the armature if I read the testing procedures correctly. 

Where can I buy a new starter armature? I called Andy Bernbaum, who suggested this forum. He said the part number for this part is Autolite Armature MZ-2108. Is that correct?

Hello again. I just noticed this starter on ebay. Pretty expensive but at least they are offering free shipping.

John R

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMAN-USA-3310-Starter-1941-Dodge-Plymouth-6-Volts-CW-Prestolite-MZ-4089/183121464547?epid=570803094&hash=item2aa2e3cce3:g:WUoAAOSwk6lapWBB&vxp=mtr

I have a mountain of starters from the 30s 40s and 50s and probably have the part you need but this is a busy time of year for me (farmer) and shipping a starter from western Canada would be prohibitively expensive.  I can tell you this, however.    Most starters will interchange so if you are not unwilling to give up the foot starter in exchange for one operated by a dashboard button and a solenoid almost any later starter will work.   Also starters from trucks will work.  It may be necessary to change the lever.  Flywheel tooth count is the same from 34 to 56.

If you still come up stuck send me a PM and I will see what I can do for you.

2 hours ago, John Reddie said:

Hello again. I just noticed this starter on ebay. Pretty expensive but at least they are offering free shipping.

John R

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMAN-USA-3310-Starter-1941-Dodge-Plymouth-6-Volts-CW-Prestolite-MZ-4089/183121464547?epid=570803094&hash=item2aa2e3cce3:g:WUoAAOSwk6lapWBB&vxp=mtr

His Ebay feed back is not good.