New Project

Merle Coggins

What have I done...?

My wife fell in love with the little Metropolitans when we were at Back to the 50’s a few years ago. She recently found one for sale, on Facebook Marketplace, in a neighboring town and it was within her budget. It’s going to need some work, and she knows it. But she is willing to so as much of the work on it as she can. I’m sure I’ll be helping quite a lot as well. It’ll need some structural repairs on the body, including the door hinge supports. The passenger side lower hinge mounting point is pretty much non-existent at this point. I’m a little nervous about the metal work needed, as that’s not my strong suit, but I know she knows how to weld too. Between the two of us we should be able to get it structurally sound again. It runs and drives okay. The brakes seem a bit weak, and they just spend around $2000 on brake repair, and other things. I’ll have to inspect the work and get them better. The engine starts and runs good though. I couldn’t get it into 3rd gear though. It probably needs a linkage adjustment due to all of the mounts sagging. 

9D354B6B-F20E-4DAD-8939-84C49A05F194.jpeg.bad0ab7becaf5f09040b572072c49645.jpeg

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Just read that as originally designed, these were supposed to have a water cooled opposed six cylinder mounted in the rear with a trans axle.  The Austin engine was selected once the flat six was nixed because it was narrow enough to fit between the inner fenders in the area that was supposed to be the trunk. Most were assembled in England and shipped here.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

That's awesome Merle and Michelle!!.....I'm sure we can stuff a 241 Hemi in there.....with a little bit of bondo and duck tape, we could get it truning 12's in no time!

Just throw it in the back of your Pilot-House for the next BBQ and we'll all knock it out in a weekend! :D

Congrats Michelle...you are awesome. :)

Tim aka 48Dodger 

• Haha 1