Vacuum to air wipers

philjafo

5 hours ago, philjafo said:

My 49 special deluxe has vacuum powered wipers, I was just wondering if anyone has converted them to be powered by compressed air. Is it even possible?

Where would you get compressed air?

I would guess that the relatively small compressor used for air bags would have a hard time keeping up with the constant drain of air caused by the wiper motor. Not sure the compressor is made for constant duty of running the wipers either so even if it could deliver the proper rate of air you might burn out it's motor when using for long periods of time. Also if your wipers don't work well with vacuum your wiper motor probably needs rebuilding and its not going to work much better with air.

15 hours ago, vintage6t said:

I would guess that the relatively small compressor used for air bags would have a hard time keeping up with the constant drain of air caused by the wiper motor. Not sure the compressor is made for constant duty of running the wipers either so even if it could deliver the proper rate of air you might burn out it's motor when using for long periods of time. Also if your wipers don't work well with vacuum your wiper motor probably needs rebuilding and its not going to work much better with air.

5 gallons of air at 120psi is way more air then engine vac at that varies from 0 to maybe 25 inches of vac (only -14 psi at best).

I’ve never driven a car with vacuum powered wipers before. I’ve heard that even when working perfectly they stop working on acceleration. I guess if I can’t get them to run on air I’ll just get a vacuum canister and maybe a vacuum pump.

If you still have the flat 6 in your car why not just change the fuel pump over to a dual function pump that pumps fuel and has a attached vacuum pump for the wipers- they work great and easily installed. they were a accessory available for many motors with vacuum wipers back when.

Might check with a company by the name- Then and Now. They sell fuel pump rebuild kits and stock some models already rebuilt .

Maybe some who has their contact info will chime in.

DJ

2 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

If you still have the flat 6 in your car why not just change the fuel pump over to a dual function pump that pumps fuel and has a attached vacuum pump for the wipers- they work great and easily installed. they were a accessory available for many motors with vacuum wipers back when.

Might check with a company by the name- Then and Now. They sell fuel pump rebuild kits and stock some models already rebuilt .

Maybe some who has their contact info will chime in.

DJ

Flat six was shot when I got the car, 95,000 miles and sat with water in the cylinders for several decades. 95 hp and the cool factor of the flathead wasn’t enough to justify what it would’ve cost to save it.

Sure many would like to know as I do, what did that vacuum pump come from(out of) ??

7 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

That’s what I did with a small electric vacuum pump. You can see it on the left of the picture. Almost completely hidden when the fresh air duct is in place. 

C6BBD2DD-64AC-40D6-B2E2-010FDF90B7D1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Sure many would like to know as I do, what did that vacuum pump come from(out of) ??

2001-2010 F250-350 diesel. Non diesel has the reservoir only, diesels add the pump. It was used to provide vacuum to the AC actuators. Reservoir has a built in check valve too. 

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 1