Speedometer Dial Is Tilted

Dennis Detweiler

I posted a few months ago that my speedometer won't go past 15mph. I took it out of the dash and it looks like it's been worked on before. Someone made a cardboard (cereal box?) outer gasket. The dial is tilted. Not sure yet if the shaft is bent or the dial is bent at the axis. I'm thinking, that, possibly, the dial is accurate to 15mph and hanging up on the bezel at that point? The dial moves freely with a slight push and returns to zero and bounces a little. Can I just push down on the high point of the tilted dial to a more level position or is this risking more damage? Now that it's removed from the dash, can I test that it moves past 15mph using a drill and piece of speedometer cable? I'm assuming the drill would have to be set for reverse? Thoughts?

It looks like the clear plastic disc is warped.  hum......I wonder if a hair dryer would un-warp it ?

This place sells new clear plastic speedo disks that might work for your car.

dcmclassics.com

Edited by Reg Evans

It looks like the back of the disc has 4 spokes to support it. The photos might be a little deceiving. It looks to me like the spokes are  bent like someone sat on it or dropped the whole thing on it's face. The disc has some scratches on it. I went ahead and tried to push down on the high part and bend it flat again, but it just springs back to a tilt. I'd have to remove it and use needle nose pliers on it? Getting it off might be a challenge?