Air filter

50net

I've seen some pictures where a paper filter was used inside oil bath canister. I ordered one from rockauto but was too big.searched net /sites can not find part number of one used.if anyone here is using one please let me know #.tks.  ( this is a 50 dodge coronet)

When I did mine I went to NAPA. They had a book that you could use to look up a filter by measurements. I was actually able to borrow the book for a couple of days as I bowled with the counter guy. No # for you, as my conversion was a D-24

EDIT:  Gut that puppy. Mock up for measurements.  Leave a lip when cutting, and filter will be unseen.

See post 24 for image:   http://p15-d24.com/topic/37745-oil-bath-filter-versus-paper-filter/?tab=comments#comment-392914

Edited by _shel_ny

Here's my air cleaner.  A persistent oil leak led me to gut the mesh interior and cobble the unit for a dry filter.

Filter size may vary with the particular unit. 

I used the top of a coffee can to seal the inner part of the filter. 

It looks stock.

409014544_AircleanerFramCA6370.JPG.bb7bbd4f7d127f482cddc694daf74186.JPG 

(Edit:)  The element is a Fram CA6370.

Edited by DonaldSmith
additional info

Doug&deb..wasnt sure if was suppose to have a oil filter inside like some i ve seen.mine just has oil bath canister and oil ..Donald i like the look when you put cover on does it look stock?wondering about height

Seems that so many heights and outside diameters were made over the years that only measurements of Your air cleaner will work in the end.??

My current oil bath air cleaner on my 50 Plymouth came off a Chrysler of some early year as described on Ebay (which I purchased) and worked well-it was one of the  taller ones-works fine but did need the brace to the head for it to stay on!

Jus' sayin'  ?

DJ

• 1 month later...

I was working at a plating shop when I started work on my Plymouth, and they let me do work on my own stuff after hours.  I took my oil bath filter in to work and soaked it in a degreaser vat, and it ruined the horse-hair element.  It just all fell to pieces.  I pried up the crimp around the edge, and removed what was left of it.  I personally like the oil bath air cleaner, and was wondering what type of material I should use to replace the missing horse-hair.  (At least that's what I've hear it was made of.)  Maybe I will also leave the lip pulled down, so I can remove whatever I put in there for soaking it clean periodically.  (It isn't very noticeable as it is.)

I have considered going the paper filter route, but I always come back to the oil bath.  (I had a Yanmar micro-tractor in Brazil that used the oil bath air filter, and it just seems as good as anything else.)

Eneto-55,

I’ve seen reusable filters that made of spun aluminum for central climate control units in houses, at the box-stores, such as Lowes, or Home Depot.  You’ll have to remove the framework, but that’ll leave you with a sheet of material that you could wrap back into your original oil-breather housing. Then all you’d have to do is re-crimp it, put oil in the filter housing, and you should be good to go. Regards . . .

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

Eneto-55,

I’ve seen reusable filters that made of spun aluminum for central climate control units in houses, at the box-stores, such as Lowes, or Home Depot.  You’ll have to remove the framework, but that’ll leave you with a sheet of material that you could wrap back into your original oil-breather housing. Then all you’d have to do is re-crimp it, put oil in the filter housing, and you should be good to go. Regards . . .

So the fibers in the top part do not need to hold oil - Is that correct?  Or is this aluminum stuff fine enough that it would hold oil?

Eneto-55,

The oil will adhere to the aluminum material just fine, and the material is dense enough to trap the incoming dirt, but not so dense as to restrict air flow, either. When forming the material within the canister, make sure that it’s abit too tall, so when you put on the top, and re-crimp it, the aluminum media will extend from bottom to top, ensuring that no air goes around the media and thus avoid filtration. Check out the filters, and I think you’ll see what I’m referring to. Regards . . . .