What is this button used for?

Russell Winje

This morning I asked about rear wheel lockups on my 1949 Chrysler New Yorker, Highlander trim, and had some fine input.  Now I wonder if there is anyone who knows what this button is for?  It is on the shift lever and has a blue wire going out from the button.  I have not checked to follow the wire yet, and will.  If someone has one too it will narrow down my search.  Thanks, Russell

100_8651.JPG

100_8653.JPG

Edited by Russell Winje
add a few words

I started think about it today while painting a house (great time to think I have time on my hands) and couldn't think if I had pushed it right before the rear tires slid me to a stop.  Was starting to think it was an injection seat button the way my wife wanted out of the car.  Thankfully we were only going about 30 MPH.  Thanks for your input.  Russell

Quick question, could you wire one in a 49 royal to bypass the vacuum switch on the carburator instead of flooring the pedal. On a car that didn't come with the magic button of course.

Edited by Hickory
Spelling

5 hours ago, Hickory said:

Quick question, could you wire one in a 49 royal to bypass the vacuum switch on the carburator instead of flooring the pedal. On a car that didn't come with the magic button of course.

Yes you could and I have done so on my Chrysler cars. Just hook the after market Shift- Rite wire to the carb KD switch existing wire

Push on the shift knob button or floor the pedal to KD the trans.

There was another after market KD kit that is really rare..it lets you pull back on the shift lever a 1/4" and the trans will kick down. Drive it like a 3 or 4 speed tans.

I now use that system so I can keep the factory shift knobs on my cars.

Basically the aftermarket shift knobs where kinda made to look like the factory knobs...the picture shows.1946-48 Chrysler

1949-50 Chrysler

1951-52 Chrysler

1953-54 Chrysler

Chrysler KD Shift Knobs 1946-1954.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several years ago when I bought  my Sift-Rite button  they were available fairly often on EBay, but when I looked very recently there were none to be found so I do not know the current price range for a new one??

Are they still available?

I love mine with the R-10 OD!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

On 9/13/2018 at 5:27 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Yes you could and I have done so on my Chrysler cars. Just hook the after market Shift- Rite wire to the carb KD switch existing wire

Push on the shift knob button or floor the pedal to KD the trans.

There was another after market KD kit that is really rare..it lets you pull back on the shift lever a 1/4" and the trans will kick down. Drive it like a 3 or 4 speed tans.

I now use that system so I can keep the factory shift knobs on my cars.

Basically the aftermarket shift knobs where kinda made to look like the factory knobs...the picture shows.1946-48 Chrysler

1949-50 Chrysler

1951-52 Chrysler

1953-54 Chrysler

Chrysler KD Shift Knobs 1946-1954.JPG

Where on earth did you find that selection. Would be wonderful on my 1949 Plymouth to control the OD?

On 9/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, hkestes41 said:

Just like NormanPitkin I have a Shiftrite in the original box on a shelf in the garage. Bought it to use with the OD in my 48, but sold the car before I could ever install it. 

Interested in selling it? 

So it gives you the kick down function without the adrenaline rush of full throttle operation.  Provides a more gentile driving experience for those ti!mes when the mother in law is in the rear seat driver's position.  Saves a lot of audible gasping, gnashing of teeth and excited tongue clicking, and rolling eyes...