1949 Chrysler New Yorker rear tire lockups

Russell Winje

No air or impact I use a 5 lb hammer on the dog bone.... big accurate swings on the dog bone... 4-5 hard hits the drum always pops off.

To get these drums off I just use a high power 1/2" or 3/4" impact now days .... off comes the drum.  Done thousands of these drum removals.... 1930's thru 1960's MoPars  over the last 50 years.

I don't have time to wait for hours or days. I get frustrated seeing what people here go through trying to get these  10-12" drums off.

Accurate brute force is good when needed by someone who knows how to do it... playing pansy ass with these Lockheed  brakes makes it a drag on and on process!

I'm not trying to brag about it but that's what I've done all my working years working on old MoPars.

JMHO... gotta finish each job every day.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

To get these drums off I just use a high power 1/2" or 3/4" impact now days ....

Good point, Found my drum puller in the shop this afternoon, guess what, right next to the impact tool! SO, here goes.  Thanks for the input

They do pop at times. When it is off, I do a visual and like to remove the key and use some valve lapping on the spindle with the drum, just lap the two together a bit and clean that off of everything and assemble with anti-seize.Torque the nut. It wont be seized again. I'm hoping mine come off with just a tap to the hub, the next time.

9 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

They do pop at times. When it is off, I do a visual and like to remove the key and use some valve lapping on the spindle with the drum, just lap the two together a bit and clean that off of everything and assemble with anti-seize.Torque the nut. It wont be seized again. I'm hoping mine come off with just a tap to the hub, the next time.

I like that plan, thanks, good idea

In my opinion using a lubricant on the tapered shaft when reinstalling the drums is a bad idea. The tight, clean, metal to metal contact is needed to help transfer the torque between the axle shaft and the wheel hub without putting the entire load onto the key. If put together clean and dry it won't come off any harder than any others, if properly using the correct hub puller.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

In my opinion using a lubricant on the tapered shaft when reinstalling the drums is a bad idea. The tight, clean, metal to metal contact is needed to help transfer the torque between the axle shaft and the wheel hub without putting the entire load onto the key. If put together clean and dry it won't come off any harder than any others, if properly using the correct hub puller.

Your way is the factory shop manual way!  Tapered assembles are never to be lubed.  For two reasons:  the one you stated and the possibility of splitting the female part.  The last isn't likely with steel, but can happen with cast parts.

Every manual I've seen that provided instructions for reassembly clearly states, clean, dry surfaces.

• Like 1

With patience and slowly applying pressure on the puller dog bone both drums came loose allowing a view of the rear brakes. No damage, though certainly time for a brake job around.  Backed off the emergency brake band to eliminate any issues that might cause.  Fresh oil to the rear end.  Checked transmission fluid and it was good.  After many trips around the barn, the coyote that lives in the yard watching, wondering I'm sure, so far so good.  A slow road test on our back roads may be in order just because.  Thanks for all the input on the brakes, and on the shift-rite button. Kind regards, Russell

Hey Russell, didn't mean to give you a bum steer. Just the way I did it once or twice. Seems to me if the axle nut is torqued and the key-ways aren't compromised, that anti-seize prevents a metal on metal adhesion. It's good that your hubs were not troublesome. Am I wrong on the brake line too? Why were the rear brakes locking?

On 9/14/2018 at 9:31 PM, 9 foot box said:

Hey Russell, didn't mean to give you a bum steer. Just the way I did it once or twice. Seems to me if the axle nut is torqued and the key-ways aren't compromised, that anti-seize prevents a metal on metal adhesion. It's good that your hubs were not troublesome. Am I wrong on the brake line too? Why were the rear brakes locking?

What I found yesterday was: first that the brakes were worn and that I may have set them up too tight when I adjusted them, so I backed them off a bit to make sure; then the rear end was way low on gear lube, so I filled it; then as a finial I checked the emergency brake and backed it way off because I could see that the lining might be touching on one side, and until I could eliminate each possible cause, I just removed them, one by one.  Then I drove around the barn in various gears, various speeds.  You'll love this, we have a coyote that comes in the yard to eat plumbs.  My wife watched him come out in the path where he could see me going around the barn.  He plopped down on his butt as if in amazement and just watch the crazy human buzzing around the barn.  There was a bit of noise like a swirling scrape that I could not pin point, though it seemed to be from the middle of the car, but hard to tell.  I took it out the barn yard onto the county road that has long straight stretches in front of our farm and drove back and forth at various speeds, shifting, turning around, back and forth, listening.  I never hit the shift-rite button again, and can not eliminate it as a possible issue.  It is apparent that the car has sat in storage for years and that it could use a full maintenance service for such things as a seal on the drive shaft end of the rear end.  The friction clutch chatters a bit, though I don't see that is the problem here, just a thing to notice.  The clutch has improved with use though.  I have yet looked at adjusting it.  I did notice that the rubber boot on the clutch arm that enters the bell housing is out of place, and could be restricting the travel, though I don't think it is the chatter problem, but wont hurt to try to put it in place in case.    Next I will just have to try a trip to town on the 17 mile mostly flat road to get things moving.  It seems to improve with each trip.  Now that the engine is running so well, after the fuel stabilizer and fresh fuel and new plugs, the smoking has cut way back.  But so far, no smoking gun.  Nothing obvious has come up other than the possible too tight brakes, my fault, or if the shift rite did something funky like engage two gears at once.  Don't see that as possible, but I will be very careful when I drive it to make sure I don't break something.  I do find barn finds, fix them and find them a home if I want.  First though I try to make them safe for my wife and I to use.  Sometimes that takes years.  The 61 Newport I had I took from a terrible junker to our family car over a 20 year run, and loved it, but the day came and it went away along with its parts car.   The model A coupe stuck around 50 years then a new home insisted it was time to go.  Last year the Austin Healey left three days after I pulled it from a barn and made it a great runner again.  So, there we go, the life of loving old car has its own road to travel.  So far the 36 International and the 58 FC150 Jeep and the 61 Falcon Ranchero  are too close to my heart to leave my barn.  But who knows, they may also become someone elses barn find in the future.  I have a hard time passing up cars I find and fall in love with, like this Chrysler, though I also know that as I get older I don't want to stick my wife with figuring out what to do with them all.  I really have appreciated the input this last week.  There are not a lot of folks here that I can share these things with.  Buryed one last month in fact.  My business is fixing things for my customers.  Finding solution.  I service a 60 mile stretch of farms in a remote desert valley and have to find those solutions on my own.  So, again, thanks.  Russell