rear axle swap

plym69

Thanks torqczar, , Living were we do it is not easy to find a specialty shop that can check and perform many of the suggested fixes. Ken F.

Since you live in an apparent 'mechanic desert' then you might want to start looking/asking around about serious hobbyists who have could help out....help you to make repairs, not necessarily do all of the work for you.

55 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Since you live in an apparent 'mechanic desert' then you might want to start looking/asking around about serious hobbyists who have could help out....help you to make repairs, not necessarily do all of the work for you.

many times it has been said here to solicit some of the cars guys who frequent the cruise ins and shows in your area and get to know who they are and who does what on the side.  Another source could be asking the manager of a big box part store of reliable mechs in the area that may be available but just not advertised or main street shop/bldg.  A few areas where local members have a good following they sometimes have a leased building for the actual repairs to take place for those that do not have resources such as these....they often have and will lend a special tool as it stays right in that building.  In areas such as this one must be proactive and seek these things out, rarely ever do they just land in your lap while football on TV

A clutch, is a clutch, is a clutch.  makes no difference a 39 plymouth to a 2018 dodge ram , to a peterbilt 379.  .   its all the same . just bigger parts.. you just need to find a  good mechanic..  chase down a   Snap on tool truck.. And what Plymouthy Adams,  wayfarer, said...  seek and  you will find....Check the  Napa store, I get many referrals from them.  sorry for the font change , copy and pasted , the whole thing failed..Oh no!!

I found a local outfit that rebuilds clutches for semi trucks and will rebuild car units as well. Naylor Automotive Engineering 4645 south Knox Ave Chicago 773-582-6900. They did my Borg and Beck, resurfaced the flywheel, in an afternoon. They can reline the disc for you as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dartgame said:

I found a local outfit that rebuilds clutches for semi trucks and will rebuild car units as well. Naylor Automotive Engineering 4645 south Knox Ave Chicago 773-582-6900. They did my Borg and Beck, resurfaced the flywheel, in an afternoon. They can reline the disc for you as well.

You really can't beat big truck garages when it comes to stuff like flywheels and clutches. Their whole business survival is dependent on them doing it right because their customers are losing money every day their trucks are down. Chances are it won't be a bargain price,but it WILL be done right.

I was pleasantly surprised at the price - to do both  flywheel and pressure plate was around 150-200$. But then again, the owner turned out to be a classmate from high school- we did not know each other back then though. So maybe he gave a discount...but the stuff worked beautifully, ultra smooth engagement...

Edited by Dartgame

17 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Check with these folks for clutch parts.

9-8-0421.jpg

I will never forget my visit to Tennessee Clutch. I walked in and found dirt/grease lumps on the floor and 3-4 guys sitting around a pot bellied heater drinking coffee although the stale grease burnt clutch stench out weighed the coffee smell. One fat guy sitting on a stool with a cigar stub and drool hanging out of his mouth asked me what I wanted. I thought I was had! The front office was not an office but looked more like something that you would find in the deliverance movie with no banjo playing. I once again thought I was had! I told the fat guy I wanted my pressure plate re-worked and I plopped it down on the counter. Again I thought I was had and this fat guy would rape my old fat punk butt. The fat guy hollered to the back of the shop and some young kid appeared, grabbed my pressure plate, and disappeared. The fat guy told me it would be an hour so I disappeared out the door before something dreadful happened.

An hour later I returned. The kid plopped my rebuilt pressure plate down and he once again diappeared to the back of the shop. There was a girl behind the counter this time although the drolling fat cigar smooking guy was still there and very much in charge. I told the girl I needed a clutch disc just like the one I plopped down on the counter. She disappeared into the rack of shelves and I once again thought I was had by the drooling fat cigar smoking guy. She plopped the required disk on the counter and I shook as I asked the dredded question "how much"?

She told me something less that one hundred dollars for the whole deal. I about fell off my stool but I know that if I had done so the fat drooling cigar smoking guy would have had his way with me. I then got brave and said I needed a pilot bushing even though I did not need one. She produced the bushing for me and I asked "how much"? She said no charge. Then I really got really balsy. I told her I want two bushings knowing the fat cigar smoking droller was still there.

This is a true story but this business turned out to be a great vendor and many forum members have sent there clutch parts there for a rebuild. 

• Haha 1

Thanks All. I am overwhelmed by the helpfulness of the folks on this site. I will use all of the suggestions to refer to the mechanic when I find one in this area. Just a clue that may be helpful in narrowing down the problem  =   If I drive the car any distance it seems the clutch/tranny gets hot and it is worse starting out in first gear; moreover I need to wait about 2 seconds when shifting from first to second or the gears grind. Could there be something in the transmission making the clutch chatter. I guess I know why I got such a good price when I bought the car over the internet.  Ken F.

1 hour ago, plym69 said:

If I drive the car any distance it seems the clutch/tranny gets hot and it is worse starting out in first gear; moreover I need to wait about 2 seconds when shifting from first to second or the gears grind. 

Clutch hot = clutch slipping. Gear grind = clutch not releasing completely or grabbing. Slipping could be due to worn friction disk, poor quality friction material, weak springs, or oil on friction surfaces. Slipping clutch deteriorates very quickly. Not releasing completely could be pedal out of adjustment due to disk wear, or warped disk.

3 hours ago, plym69 said:

Thanks All. I am overwhelmed by the helpfulness of the folks on this site. I will use all of the suggestions to refer to the mechanic when I find one in this area. Just a clue that may be helpful in narrowing down the problem  =   If I drive the car any distance it seems the clutch/tranny gets hot and it is worse starting out in first gear; moreover I need to wait about 2 seconds when shifting from first to second or the gears grind. Could there be something in the transmission making the clutch chatter. I guess I know why I got such a good price when I bought the car over the internet.  Ken F.

Have you ever checked the fork in the bellhousing that holds the throwout bearing for straightness,free movement,and travel?   Is it possible you have the wrong one and it doesn't have the right angle or enough travel?

What about the input shaft on your transmission? Is it smooth or does it have burrs? Is the throwout bearing smooth and spin with no binds?

Edited by knuckleharley

1 hour ago, sser2 said:

Clutch hot = clutch slipping. Gear grind = clutch not releasing completely or grabbing. Slipping could be due to worn friction disk, poor quality friction material, weak springs, or oil on friction surfaces. Slipping clutch deteriorates very quickly. Not releasing completely could be pedal out of adjustment due to disk wear, or warped disk.

Or synchronizer worn.  Since it does shift after a wait, I'd lean toward that.

c

As to the heat, since we can feel what you do I have to ask:  how hot is too hot.  When you drive far enough the clutch housing will be near engine block temp.  I think getting worse in first gear may be just the friction material changing as it warms up.  It is really doubtful that the trans is impacting the clutch operation

18 hours ago, plym69 said:

As others have said it’s probably all in the clutch, but......  if you find the trans having shift issues after the clutch is fixed, it could be the type of gear oil used. Most stores only have GL5 gear oil which is very bad for our transmissions and can cause shift problems because it’s eating up the blocking rings and other soft metal parts. NAPA still carries GL1 gear oil. 

Adam