Oil filter canister

Cannuck

I recently noticed oil leaking from the top nut on the oil canister tried tightening ,tried changing the oil filter neither worked .

I have had the dodge for a couple of years and never had this problem .

The oil pressure reading is about 50 running on the highway and the same at idle speed but its always run at that pressure ,not sure how accurate the gauge

is.

Thanks

I had the same problem on my 1958 Dodge Coronet 6cyl. one time.

I thought the top nut was leaking and replaced the washer, pounded out the hole flat, still leaked.

I then remembered reading somewhere to double up the large flat gaskets to make the canister seal and that worked.

Apparently the Napa filter i just installed was slightly taller than the Purolator filter I replaced.

A lesson learned: Do not wait for the night before you plan to take your old car out of state for a car show/doing weekend to change your oil. I discovered the leak the morning we were set to leave when checking the oil after the car was loaded. Not wanting to spend time trouble-shooting a problem I never had before, we moved our things into our "normal" car and continued on our way.

Edited by Local2ED

Years ago, the night before a DeSoto convention, I was busily scurrying around to do all those maintenance things.  My second year with the car.  I did the oil change, using a jar to measure out the oil.  Was that a quart mark on the jar, or a pint mark, I wondered later.  

Fifty miles down the road, an engine bearing went.  Flatbed home.  The well-worn truck only had room for two,  so my wife rode up front, and I rode in the Desoto, high in the sky.   Stately.

Complete engine rebuild followed.   Moral of the story, keep up the maintenance as you go, and get your rest the day and night before a road trip.   

19 hours ago, Cannuck said:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions .

I took the lid apart and changed the brass washer to a fiber washer , also added a extra rubber washer to the canister. Waiting to see how it works.

Thanks again

I used cork under the cover.Used crush copper washer under the nut.Good luck.