Door hinge and hinge pin request

thebeebe5

Does anyone have any pictures of a 37 (or similar) door hinge assembly taken apart?  

I’m wanting to see the components involved.....  Haven’t had luck with internet searches....

I removed doors from a donor car ('37 P4 4 door sedan) a while ago, by unscrewing hinges from the body. Each hinge is attached to body by 4 Philips screws. These screws go into 1/4 thick rectangular plate with 4 threaded holes. This plate is floating - after the screws are removed, the plate can be taken out from the other side. This arrangement allows for door adjustment.

I tried to remove hinge pin by knocking on it from below, but the pin didn't move, so I left it alone.

I did not remove hinges from the doors.

Do not attempt removing hinges with hand screwdriver - you will gouge the screws. Impact driver with a sturdy Philips bit is necessary. Also, a lot of PB Blaster and heating with a propane torch. 13 screws yielded and 3 broke off.

My car is in my country house. Hopefully, I am going there this weekend and will take a few pictures.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 1:30 PM, sser2 said:

My car is in my country house. Hopefully, I am going there this weekend and will take a few pictures.

That would be fantastic.  

I’m trying to hatch an idea for hinge mount mirrors....   I’d only be disassembling the top hinge on each side. Car is painted fairly nicely and I don’t want to make a mess, so I’m hoping to see exactly what’s in there before I proceed. 

I've had my car since 1971.......I made the hinge mirror shown using some metal strap and steel rod and I welded the end from a cheap mirror I found onto the steel rod then had it chromed........still works fine.............andyd 

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I've had my car since 1971.......I made the hinge mirror shown using some metal strap and steel rod and I welded the end from a cheap mirror I found onto the steel rod then had it chromed........still works fine.............andyd 

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

Exactly my plan, Andy!  The mirrors on the marked don’t help me see to back up because these ‘37s are so wedge shaped....  I’m wanting them on a longer arm so I can see down the side....   not see the side. 

Did you pull the hinges apart and utilize the pin when affixing these?  Figured I could make a custom pin and a bracket similar to the ones made for the 30s Ford Truck crowd, but fit to the Plymouth.  I just want to see what I’m dealing with before I go mucking around, you know?

I found an old mirror that the mirror ball pin fitted into a hole in the mirror arm, this mirror arm bolted onto the outside of a door......this wasn't what i wanted but the arm was steel so I cut the top inch or so off the end of the arm and welded that onto a piece of 3/8th or 7/16th steel rod that i bent to the shape I wanted then I welded a horizontal piece that went above and below the hinge cover and the top horizontal piece I then drilled and tapped to take an 3/16" allen headed grub screw...........I then had the new arm chromed and a new piece of mirror installed and fitted the mirror to the car.........I did this probably 35 years ago, back then whilst there were early Frod hinge mirrors they didn't fit the width of the Dodges hinge so I had to improvise............still works now and every so often someone asks......"where did you get that mirror".........well its like this I reply..........lol...........will see if I can find a closer pic.................andyd  

Have a helper lift the door so the weight is released from the hinge. Then tap the pin out with a punch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, sser2 said:

Hinge 4.jpg

And the pin is just driven out from underneath?  

1 hour ago, thebeebe5 said:

And the pin is just driven out from underneath?  

Yes. When door is off the body, pin can be driven out easily. Pin wear may form a ridge that makes it difficult to drive out the pin when door weight is pushing on the hinge sideways.

Q. When you move the hinge through it normal range of motion does top and bottom of the hinge pin stay still with all the motion occurring at the center portion? They are well known to freeze from rust in the center pivot area and move at the top/bottom or both. From the pin sticking up above the upper portion as pic shows made me wonder.

If frozen as described then there is more work ahead and the hinge will have to be taken off car for repair.

On my 50 Ply. Suburban I had to do a lot of work to the hinges (3 out of 4) to get the pins replaced due above mentioned problem.?

DJ