The Extremely Versatile Universal Slant 6

55 Fargo

Slant 6s were installed in cars and trucks for many years 1959- 87.

As well as the Industrial applications for farm and industry.

Here is a new use for a 1971 Slant 6 ot of a 71 California Cuda.

Attached is an A833 trans.

2200 lb  car, should launch well.

Needs driveshaft, clutch throwout setup and rad/ electric fan and she could be test driven.

20180910_132335_resized.jpg

20180910_132349_resized.jpg

20180910_132339_resized.jpg

20180910_132420_resized.jpg

3 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

Slant 6s were installed in cars and trucks for many years 1959- 87.

As well as the Industrial applications for farm and industry.

Here is a new use for a 1971 Slant 6 ot of a 71 California Cuda.

Attached is an A833 trans.

2200 lb  car, should launch well.

Needs driveshaft, clutch throwout setup and rad/ electric fan and she could be test driven.

20180910_132335_resized.jpg

20180910_132349_resized.jpg

20180910_132339_resized.jpg

20180910_132420_resized.jpg

There is a video on youtube I think you would enjoy. It is a 61 Valiant stationwagon with a slant6 squaring off at a drag strip against one of the new Dodge Chrargers that are rated at around 700 HP. The Valiant eats  him alive. Both are painted the same shade of green.

I think there is something wrong with the Valiant,though.  It doesn't want to idle very smoothly. Who knows how fast it would be if he tuned it up and got rid of the rough idle?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

There is a video on youtube I think you would enjoy. It is a 61 Valiant stationwagon with a slant6 squaring off at a drag strip against one of the new Dodge Chrargers that are rated at around 700 HP. The Valiant eats  him alive. Both are painted the same shade of green.

I think there is something wrong with the Valiant,though.  It doesn't want to idle very smoothly. Who knows how fast it would be if he tuned it up and got rid of the rough idle?

Was a slant with full race cam etc  against a 707 hp hellcat Challenger. Both owned by the same guy had his brother driving the other car. They swapped drivers and beat it again. ? ?

38 minutes ago, 51cambridge said:

Was a slant with full race cam etc  ??

It was a joke son,a joke!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 51cambridge said:

I knew that. Just posting the facts from the Slant 6 board.

or is that Slant 6 bored....?   that again, is a joke...I have owned as  many /6 cars-trucks as I have with V8.....the 61 Lancer Sport Coupe is the only /6 still held captive at my house.  The '73 QRS was the best engine ever.

I had a worked /6 head along with headers and a two barrel holley that destroyed a bunch of junkyard shortblocks revving all over town through a ford 7.5” rear with 3.73 gears. It was a lot of fun and when I bought the hotrod top end it was still installed in an early dart which was stripped to a shell- not even glass in it. That car must have weighed like 1800 lbs! The guy let me rip around his (rural) neighborhood in it banging pushbutton gears and sitting on a milk crate. It was a rocketship.

I also had a stock 225 with an aluminum case OD 4 speed. You had to wait for a huge gap to merge if an on ramp had a stop sign but that 1987 D150 ran amazing filled to the brim with gravel!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 51cambridge said:

My 51 Cambridge has a slant . 3 angle valve job , r.v. cam , edelbrock intake with Holley 390, headers out to duel exhaust. Along with a lock up converter.

And how does she role along?

I like this Slant turboed in a Duster.

https://youtu.be/4sghBQKI5q8

a couple of slant 6 stories. 

When I was about 19 I worked for an airline as an aircraft records clerk on the flight line of an overhaul base.  We were located on the opposite side of the airport from the passenger terminals.  Daily work required several trips to/from the terminal, about a 6mi round trip.  We bought a 63 crew cab 3/4 with a slanty and Torqueflite.  When I left that job, it has about 130,000mi and with 127 different drivers!  Never missed a beat.  Slow as molasses since it was so heavy, but bulletproof.

When I was much older, my oldest daughter had a Swinger, 74 model, cherry one owner.  She married a quy with the mechanical knowledge of a rock.  He was driving her car to work, about 45 mi one way.  He called on morning saying the car go hot and wouldn't start..  I was drafted to go get him and it.

When I asked how far he drove it after it overheated.  'till it stopped!!!"

I pulled head and pan.   Bearings were fine!  Rings were toast.  Replaced rings, rod bearings to just because, did a quick valve touchup grind.  It ran perfectly for years after that mistreatment.

Those things are just indestructible.

Edited by kencombs