Bellhousing/transmission questions for Airflow

austinsailor

Getting ready go start on my 36 Desoto Airflow, hoping to make it me daily driver. 

The original overdrive is in parts in a box, not practical to repair. The current non-od unknown 3 speed leaves a 50 mph top practical speed, so I plan to use a 53 Plymouth od. 

I'll eventually figure this out, but would anyone know what is compatible and what isn't. 

Will the plymouth tranny bolt directly to the airflow bellhousing? Is the pilot shaft the same? In the event the transmission won't bolt up, will the bellhousing from the Plymouth bolt to the airflow?

45 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

Getting ready go start on my 36 Desoto Airflow, hoping to make it me daily driver. 

The original overdrive is in parts in a box, not practical to repair. The current non-od unknown 3 speed leaves a 50 mph top practical speed, so I plan to use a 53 Plymouth od. 

I'll eventually figure this out, but would anyone know what is compatible and what isn't. 

Will the plymouth tranny bolt directly to the airflow bellhousing? Is the pilot shaft the same? In the event the transmission won't bolt up, will the bellhousing from the Plymouth bolt to the airflow?

If a higher cruising speed in necessary,wouldn't you be better off using a more modern 230 or 251,and maybe a higher gear set in the rear?

Sure sounds like a question for the Airflow Club-- if there is one and have a section online to ask these questions??

Otherwise it seems to me there my be only way to know for sure, is to remove the current trans and match up specs between the two and do a lot of measurements.

If I were to bet offhand I would expect that at least the overall length would cause some needed rework in the middle of the frame/ floor pan  area??

Sounds like a good combo for a driver though!

Good luck,

DJ

Oh, there is an Airflow club and internet group. If I ask these questions there I'd get eaten up and spit out! Purists! But it's my car and I want to drive it, not just to an occasional gathering.

don't know about the floor yet. Right now it has a very stubby 3 speed which had the brake drum interfere with the frame, so they just removed it. The brake and drum, not the frame. Another problem this will solve.

not hard to get my answers, thought someone might know. 

This is the car in question.

IMG_0383.JPG

I'd almost bet the is a member or two have done like you want to do, they also feared the wrath of the club so kept it quiet.

Maybe If you were to just ask the question in a general way, you probably will get the negative responses from most of them, But hopefully one or two will PM you with their truths and maybe answer your question??   ?

DJ

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I'd almost bet the is a member or two have done like you want to do, they also feared the wrath of the club so kept it quiet.

Maybe If you were to just ask the question in a general way, you probably will get the negative responses from most of them, But hopefully one or two will PM you with their truths and maybe answer your question??   ?

DJ

Exactly!  Noting ventured,nothing gained.

Ok, this isn't s final answer, But after comparing 3 speeds from a couple 40's and 53, and a case and pilot shaft from what I think was an Airflow transmission, they measure the same.

I'll have to pull it to be sure, and there is a chance that front piece that the pilot shaft sticks out of is not compatible, but the basics sure look like they will work.

My car had one of those stubby transmissions in it, but maybe not the same as yours because yours is probably a floor shift and mine is a column shift - Is your trans original ? I was able to put in a 1953 vintage RG-10 overdrive in place of the stubby trans, and use a shorter driveshaft.

Edited by Dartgame

Try reading the casting number on the middle of the passenger side of the trans, should be a 6 or 7 digit raised number in rather large font size. You may also find the production date stamped into the flat flange area of the trans right next to where it bolts to the bell housing, again on the passenger side. With these numbers we can probably ID the trans in it. If it is similar to mine then an R 10G overdrive should be a bolt in.

Edited by Dartgame

There were two R-10G OD made. One is a long imput shaft for Fluid Drive setups and a shorter one for the standard 3 spd. bell housing non fluid drive.

The input shafts can be interchanged, but that requires a transmission take apart to do it.

Hope it is not needed and works as is. May want to reads Petes adventure with R-10s. Forum member of the past,may show up occassionily?

DJ

1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe.html

Edited by DJ194950
spelling