TV car shows

pflaming

Chanced on to a "restore car" show. They were unloading a box of new parts. Must be fun to dismantle a car then reassemble it with all new parts!  Like car magazines, all these shows are all about selling new parts. Not much reality there. 

7 hours ago, pflaming said:

Chanced on to a "restore car" show. They were unloading a box of new parts. Must be fun to dismantle a car then reassemble it with all new parts!  Like car magazines, all these shows are all about selling new parts. Not much reality there. 

? I agree; there doesn't seem to be any reality that I've experienced either. ? 

I refuse to watch these shows...gets folks thinking they can buy an old car and in two weeks have it on the show circuit....with sponsor money out the yang, 30-40 back shops working 24-7..yeah it just becomes a bolt by number at that time...nothing real about it whatsoever...surreal is more accurate

• Like 1

Please help my husband, boy friend father,etc finish his project.  Up rolls the tow truck, or up rolls the crew, and they swap so many parts that the only thing left of the car is the keys.  Now if the garage squad folks rolled up on my drive way and started tinkering on my Studebaker, I might let them provided there was as much Studebaker left as when they started.

• Like 1

I believe that is what is called HYPE...let me sell you an Atlantic Island...all your if you can evict the folks already there......anybody who would not raise holy hang over a car gone missing does not deserve getting the car back period, let alone back in refresh condition...

What is "fake news"???

Keep hearing this term used online but DO NOT watch TV news.

If involves political news/politicians,  I would just sit and talk like grandpa did years ago- facing towards the TV, loudly say Bunk,!!! Pork barrel!! and sometimes worse.

Not worth listening to. Let me know if/when we declare war!!

Would rather read/think about cars, some thing else  worth thinking about that I have some real control over.

If Not leave me alone! My blood pressure is too high as is!    ?

?

DJ

Grave Yard Cars??

You don't like his dances or all the face making in closeup on camera??

Stinks, stinks, it takes a lot of patience ,  Hard to do sometimes, still trying but wearing very thin!

I like to try to learn something about the Mopar cars of the performance years!!  Love that part of the show!

Oh well, seems most TV these days is just almost on the crazy side of life and what people will watch!

Time to get off the soapbox!

DJ

many shows border on the extreme and nothing anywhere near mainline views, opinions or mannerisms these days.....I watch TV usually with a one hour delay built into the satellite receiver so to edit commercial.  I record my show for the same reason...fast forward....TV has every one and every thing revolving around people dancing and jumping with excitement or rapping some lines that goes beyond stupid.....I also do not listen to radio because of DJ's and commercials......I love humanity, don't get me wrong, but the people are driving me crazy.

Dodgeed-

I generally do not care much for country music, but I sure like that tune!

Thanks

DJ

I pretty much abandoned the country music scene in or around the end of 1975...NEVER liked anything bluegrass....rock and roll was changing too fast in the late 60's to the tune I could no longer listen to it...went country as it was changing a bit and was just getting some cross over artist blending the sounds....then that changed and went to hang...rock started a revival in the 80's   number of good artists, lots of very memorable tunes....it is all hit and miss today...a good tune comes down the pike every so often.  Old Gold and some alternative music...why I cannot do radio plus the DJ's I can't stand to listen to as they grate on and on...thank goodness for USB, SD and CD media..

Some of the  parts selling shows are OK as long as they stick with actual sources for reproduction and original parts. Not all of us are lucky enough to find complete cars and trucks and most of the stuff missing are fenders, doors, trim parts, etc. From my own experience on my 1950 B2B, a virtual truck in a box, I had a lot of searching to do and created lists of sources and what I planned to get from them, I researched prices and availability as well. Of course, learning a little bit of history about the vehicle and others that may have similar parts that might can be used adds to the fun of it.

Phantom Works was nice to watch because of the timelines. People get discouraged when it take longer than a half hour to get their project running but the timelines show you quickly that even professionals will have projects that take up to 2 years or more to complete. Setting goals and building a list of what you plan to do helps keep the project moving. It provides a set of intermediate goals that can be checked off when complete and it helps to visualize progress in completing each milestone. 

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Those shows are fine if all you are interested in is something based on a small block chevy and something with a lot of aftermarket repo parts available. Try asking for a 48 DeSoto rebuild

in a weekend

I really don't  see this happening...ever. Some things just take time and are worth the wait.  

• Like 1

I must really be getting old as I have never heard of all these car type TV shows mentioned here. I gave up on TV about 6-7 years ago. I actually find it insulting to the average person's intelligence. I get frustrated and shut it off. The constant barrage of commercials and marketing hype drives me nuts. News? Crap. They skim the highs and rarely follow up with what actually happened. Nor later when the truth was revealed. That's all boring stuff it seems. On to more "oil in the fire" type news!

I think the last so called "reality show" I watched was Survivor Australia. When was that 2001? My wife and I were wound up in it. I was 30 then. Maybe it appeals to young people? Yes I suppose these reality shows do. They must appeal to someone. I don't get it but whatever. We used to have, and pay for all the shows and channels that rarely we ever had time to watch. So in Dec 2017 we cut off all paid TV subscriptions. Today we just have internet. We watch some Netflix movies when we have time. Maybe 1 movie every two weeks or so. Less in the summer. So now I have no idea what is "in style" or insanely popular. Not a clue. I pay $10 a month for Spotify and get all the music I can handle, commercial free. I have no clue what the biggest song hits are all over the world until usually 6-10 months after they peaked I estimate.  I laughed when we were in Mexico with friends last Feb. A song came on some speakers somewhere. We could hear it over game of cards and drinks, we were enjoying at our resort. My friends started singing along and I could tell they were quite enjoying the song. I was kind of surprised because to me it just sounded like local Mexico radio. A song in Spanish language with their signature beat. My friends laughed at me when I asked how they knew this song. "It's Desposito" they raved. "Never heard of it",  I said. They were shocked. I retorted, "Where am I supposed to hear this?" They said "its playing everywhere! Check out You Tube." I did and saw about 30 million plays.  

I laughed to myself and thought,  "It's working!"  I am systematically removing myself from mass marketing pop culture. I don't listen to radio stations. I don't have cable TV. I can't remember the last time I read and comprehended an advertisement on the internet. I have no problem blocking internet ads it seems. I do with my time, what interests me. Not what "everyone else" is doing. It just so happens I love flat head 6 Mopar vintage cars and trucks. It seems "pop culture" has little interest in old Mopars. Fine with me. This web site provides me with entertainment that I want to see, and can control. I do not at all miss TV.  Superbowl? Stanley cup? Nascar? World Series? Enjoy as you please. It seems I have little time or interest for any of it. I'm not quite sure why or how I got this way...Crotchety I guess. LOL.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1