heater switch ? for deluxe dual heater setup in P15

3046moparcoupe

When we got our 46 Plymouth Club Coupe project it had two of everything (two heater cores), (two blower motor assemblies), etc...the main (larger unit) was connected to the fresh air box on the passenger side and it contains the mechanism/doorway to adjust between heater and defrost...the smaller unit hung off the fresh air box on the drivers side and strictly served as a heater for the interior cab of the car. Over the past few years of learning here on the forum, I've come to know this setup as being the deluxe heater assy for these old mopar cars.

When I was taking this all apart, everything looked factory to me,..EXCEPT,...some of the holes in the firewall where the heater core in/out tubes connect through the firewall, looked like they were cut out with a hammer and a chisel, (actually not that bad - but uneven oblong shaped holes with some pretty rough cuts. This made me wonder if an individual had done the upgrade themselves or if possible a small dealership had done it, etc… who knows, only time I suppose....:)

All that said, and with things now going back together, here's my brain fart/question for the day in regards to all this. For you guys and/or gals out there who have the dual heater setup. 

Would not the heater on/off switch also need to be upgraded to power the additional motor ?  I'm wondering if I've got the correct heater motor switch for this dual setup.  Any way to identify and know for sure ? or was there just a single switch offered that was capable of carrying everything from the budget heater assy up to the deluxe version ?

I went through the switch that was in this car, and cleaned up the internal contact surfaces and greased it, however I don't believe there is any kind of identifying part number on the thing. It does have two (2) ceramic cylinder shaped resistors on the switch for low and high I would suppose.

Thought it might be wise to run this by you folks with experience, as I definitely don't need any electrical issues like this later on, especially with one of the larger amp draw electrical accessories like the blower motors.

Thanks so much for the help. This forum is exceptional.

Steve

100_5365.JPG

Dual heater switches usually have two tubular ceramic resistor coils on them bcause of the two motors.

• Thanks 1

DB4ya, as mentioned in my original post,....yes sir - my heater switch has two resistor coils, each encased inside it's own tubular ceramic shell,....

as previously mentioned, I was thinking it was for multiple speeds,...but now that you have shed light on this,....if there's only a "low" and a "high", why would there be a resistor for the high speed ? there wouldn't be one , would there ?  low speed for each motor would use the resistors, then the high speed would  run off the 6v direct to each motor  - by-passing the resistors completely. Once again, I show my failing mental capacity :) this getting old thing stinks !!  

I would think that in a few weeks , when I extend the wiring harness in and under the dash and wire the switch up, that this would have made itself evident in my head, but none the less - I know now whats up, and it's very much appreciated on this end.

Yes sir, thank you again DB4ya...I appreciate your efforts to take the time to set me on the straight path, once again..

Steve