Where do I connect the amp gauge wires?

Cold Blue

Well, I couldn't get the old oil pressure gauge to work, so I connected an aftermarket one to the metal oil line that goes into the back of the engine block using a rubber brake line with the correct fittings, just to the right of the oil filter, as shown in the first attached pic. Works great. Wish I knew why the old gauge won't work...any ideas? And where do the amp gauge wires connect? When I bought the car, the amp gauge wires had been cut at the back of the gauge, so I don't know where to run new wires and what to connect them to. Help!! I have attached a pic of my flat six. Ain't she beautiful?

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

if the amp gauge is still in the car...you will have to determine if still good gauge...second, if good them split the two wires that are joined and likely taped over in the vicinity of the gauge and connect each wire to a respective post......pull on lights, if discharge is shown...you golden..if charge is shown, reverse the leads on the amp gauge

if your car has been upgraded to an alternator..many do not use the amp gauge and instead monitor the voltage system with a volt meter....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, Cold Blue said:

Thanks Plymouthy - my car has been upgraded to an alternator. That's why the amp gauge is not used, huh? So I need to get an aftermarket volt meter and install it? If so, where would I connect it? Thanks in advance, Blue.

On most cars of that era, the amp gauge indicates +-30.  Most all alternators output far exceeds that.  And, a voltmeter will actually show your gattery condition not just plus or minus usage vs charge available.