Should there be a reflector in my tail light housing?

thebeebe5

1937 Plymouth

Had these apart a few times since I acquired the car 4-5 ish years ago.  Bought LED replacement bulbs this week and while installing them it occured to me that there are no reflectors therein....   ?

Should there be?   I could at a minimum paint the inside of the light housings white.  That would help.  And the LEDs have made a huge difference already!!

Edited by thebeebe5

There is none in the P15, either.  (Unless there was originally, and it was later left out.  Some parts have a way of getting lost.  Like how many cars still have the shields around the engine?)  For a lighter color car it may not make much difference, but for a black one?  I found a dual filament bulb in my fender light, even though the socket is still a single contact, which does engage both filaments.  Maybe that's just what they had on hand, or else they did it to make it brighter.

As a general rule tail-light housing do not have reflectors in them, it is very common for them to be painted white inside of the housing. Surprisingly white paint is classified as being the most reflective, where-as silver is not.

I don't believe I have ever seen a reflector housing in a tail light assembly.

• Like 1

50 years ago my bone stock Plymouth 37 Bus. Cpe did not have reflectors in the two rear lights.  I think I painted them white or silver-whatever I most likely had already as I was only 17 and always short of money to fix up this complete car but it needed everything!

I was told that back when new they only came with one taillight and the second was an option. But I Was in Ca. and we all know how Ca. is about cars and laws-Way too many!  ?

DJ

• Like 1

For what its worth I know that the 1940 Plymouth taillight lens or at least one of the two used had a clear round reflective "ball or prism" cast into the glass that was the reflector........at least I know that's what was used here in Oz as both 1940 Plymouth AND 1940 Dodges used the same taillight and I have seen a couple of lens with the reflector over the years, tho' my car uses Lynx Eye Blue Dots and has done so for nearly 40 years..........andyd