Remove Steering Wheel 1939 Plymouth

Richard Cope

Recently located a banjo steering wheel for my 39 Plymouth.  The metal banjo bars are in great shape, however the "plastic" is going to require work.  Does anyone have any information on the type of puller needed to remove the wheel from the steering tube, don't want to mess up the current wheel when removing.  The service manual indicates to use a C526 puller, is there a similar tool available today?   My current wheel does not have a horn ring, which I am trying to locate.  Came across a ring and button however turned out to be for a 39 Dodge, I believe (has a Dodge logo).  Was hoping to use the ring, unfortunately the center retainer of the Dodge has a larger diameter.  Unfortunately I haven't actually seen a 39 Ply with a horn ring, does anyone know when used is the center button (Ship / "Plymouth" emblem) the same.  I believe the difference will be the retaining ring around the button will have three slots for the spokes of the horn ring.  If anyone with a 39 Ply is using a horn ring would appreciate if you would forward a photo, trying  to keep the interior of the car as stock in appearance as possible. 

Like to thank everyone in advance for all of your help.

Regards,

Richard

if the wheel is on tight you do need special tools to remove it safely.

If there is a slight protrusion of metal on the under side of the wheel hub you can use a bearing splitter and large puller as shown...if you can round up the tools..

Or use a dedicated old style wheel puller set as shown... or attempt to make up something and pray it will work..

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (9).JPG

CW Steering Wheel Removal.JPG

Another tip on using a puller is first to put penetrating oil between the hub and shaft. Also if applying pressure via a puller does not get the wheel to start coming off  then with pressure applied with the puller give the center bolt of the puller a good wack with a hammer, that sometimes causes the wheel to "pop" off the shaft.

If you can leave the steering shaft nut on just loose with the puller installed to help support the shaft threads as there can be enough force to crush the threads.

Make sure what ever puller thread shaft you are using is exactly straight with the steering shaft....if it isn't the threads on the shaft could be damaged on one side.

I've been there with that!

Really appreciate everyone's response, definitely don't want to damage the threads on the steering shaft.   For the 39 going to have to use a different approach and type of puller.  Back of the wheel is a metal collar on the steering column, won't be able to get behind it.  When looking at the banjo wheel, there are three threaded holes equally spaced around the center opening.  Appears if I used a puller with three threaded bolts to screw into the steering wheel and a larger center bolt to meet with the steering shaft that would raise the three equally would work.  

Photos really helped,  going to duplicate the horn ring / steering wheel in the green convertible.  From an original accessory sheet, the coupe convertible came with a deluxe steering wheel and horn ring, however for others was a $5.00 option. 

Thanks again

Richard C

screenshot.png

Many Thanks.  Have another question if anyone can help.  Trying to locate the part number or substitute for the horn ring for a 39 Ply.  My parts book doesn't have it listed.  I have 39 Dodge ring, however three nibs that retain the horn button ring wouldl have to be ground off and then replated. 

Thanks Richard