What is this bracket?

tanda62

You know when you are taking things apart and think you have taken all the pictures you need?  Ya, well I didn't.  I am trying to figure out what this bracket (arrow is pointing to it) hanging off the bell housing on my 53 B4C is for and so far have come up empty.  The emergency brake doesn't seem to go to it but maybe I am forgetting a piece.

Thanks for any help,

Tom

20180906_155452.gif

I tried to find pictures posted of this area while it was raining last night but could not find the one I am thinking about of a forum member's restored B-4 with details ya need...I was able to stick my head under my near-stock Spring Special and it has a similar bracket with a broken clamp rusted to the exhaust pipe less than an inch away...this truck was used off-road quite a bit and bears the scars of high-centering a few rocks and possibly hanging a railroad track, so my guess is that if you can attach your exhaust pipe to it, then you're gold...it's not on the B-1s or B-3s in the yard, and the factory parts manual is not much help as the B-4 down pipe is omitted, but the early B-1 down pipe is separated by serial number from late B-1, B-2 and B-3 down pipes...my guess is that bracket was added on B-4s to address some vibration issue with the down pipe, but ya might not need it as evidenced by its lack of use on previous models with the same powertrain :cool:

That bracket could be the E-Brake cable support bracket... I think it mounts to the frame then to cable somewhere just forward of the bell housing.

Also  as I recall the Transmission end of the E- brake cable hooks/mounts to the lower bell housing dust cover.

E Brake bracket.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Looks like as with several other things I have found some pieces are missing.  I like the idea of it supporting the emergency brake cable and branching off to the down pipe on the exhaust.  Have to do some figuring and make some parts to have it hold both.

Thanks to all for the help!

Tom

Yes, since I ran the brake line and fuel lines along the cross member in front of the gas tank and then up the passenger side frame rail I wrapped the down pipe to reduce the amount of heat in that area.  I used to wrap the pipes on my motorcycles and saw a big drop in the heat they put off so same principle here.  You might not notice the nicopp lines as they are also covered in rubber fuel line hose to protect them even more.