Repair Of Gauges Containing Diethyl Ether

DrDoctor

Disclaimer: The information contained herein in intended solely for the personal, non-commercial use of the reader who accepts full responsibility for its use. The information and/or data contained herein is provided on an “as is” basis, with no guarantees expressed or implied regarding the completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness. Every precaution has been taken to ensure that the content herein is as accurate, and complete, as possible. In the event that any of the information and/or data presented herein conflicts with any cited references, the information from the cited references, as interpreted herein, shall take precedence. Further, the author accepts NO responsibility for any injury or death that may be resultant due to the practice of repairing, or attempting to repair, by any procedure, of any instrument containing diethyl ether.

Diethyl ether’s a lower ether. It’s an organic compound that’s a colorless, tasteless, highly volatile flammable liquid (when under 93.9oF), or gas (when over 93.9oF), with a slight sweet smell. Ether molecules can’t form hydrogen bonds with one another, resulting in relatively low boiling points. It was formerly used as an anesthetic, until non-flammable drugs, such as halothane, were developed. It’s also very harmful to human skin, burning it in a very short time period. Its current usage’s primarily industrial as a solvent, and automotive as a starting aid for engines. Diethyl ether’s a relatively stable chemical compound which doesn’t react with active metals, dilute acids, oxidizing agents, or reducing agents. Its vapor’s heavier than air, can collect at low points on or near the floor, and can travel significant distances reaching sources of combustion which don’t have to be an open flame. Potential sources of ignition of diethyl ether vapor can be a heater, oven or stove, etc. In its gaseous state, it can also be ignited by simple static electricity, such as generated when walking across carpets made of certain fibers, or by simply pouring liquid diethyl ether from one container to another. It’s extremely sensitive to light and air, and will decompose quickly in such an environment, forming explosive peroxides when exposed to light and air. These peroxides don’t need an open flame to combust, significant heat could cause it to explode violently. The spontaneous combustion temperature of liquid diethyl ether’s 320oF.

Diethyl ether, in addition to its anesthetic properties, also has an intoxicating effect, which has made it a popular recreational inhalant drug, in the same class as toluene, acetone, and it’s a key ingredient used to make cocaine, and meth-amphetamine. A significant disadvantage of  diethyl ether’s its extreme volatility, especially in the presence of oxygen. About the only advantage of diethyl ether as opposed to the other recreational inhalants mentioned herein is the well defined margin that exists between its therapeutic dosage, and its toxic dosage. This means that a person inhaling diethyl ether would lose consciousness before the levels of dissolved diethyl ether in the blood reached dangerous levels could be realized. Along with burning of the skin, it also causes significant irritation to the respiratory mucosa, and it’s therefore rather uncomfortable to breath. In an overdosed condition, any or all of the following conditions can be observed: excessive salivation, coughing, vomiting, spasms. If diethyl ether’s introduced in a 3-5% concentration in the air, breathing 15-20 ml of diethyl ether  will slowly induce an anesthetic effect within 15-20 minutes of inhalation, dependent upon body mass and overall physical condition. Prior to blacking out, diethyl ether causes a protracted stage of excitation.

Diethyl ether should only be handled by individuals trained in haz-mat procedures, and trained specifically in diethyl ether. Failure to observe the proper procedures when handling diethyl ether can result in catastrophic traumatic injuries.

That’s why I take exception to the recommendation of the practice of, or the repairing of, a mechanical temperature gauge containing diethyl ether. Using a soldering iron v an open flame to solder the gauge’s line’s NO guarantee that a dramatic explosion won’t occur. However, if someone’s bound and determined to undergo this, in my professional opinion, reckless exercise, at least put the bulb with the liquid diethyl ether therein on the floor, to keep any gaseous vapors in it from rising up to the work bench, and give yourself some increased odds of surviving this exercise, in the event that something goes awry.

• Like 3

Thanks for the nice writeup. So would you consider the long and short term medical risks associated with making such a repair more or less hazardous than say the long and short term medical risks associated with getting a tattoo? Lots of young folks get a tattoo these days and I question if they know the risks involved. My 20 year old granddaughter wants to get a tattoo and I have been covering all the medical risks with her before she jumps on the wagon. 

REPLY —

I'm off topic abit here with this, but your expressed concern deserves a response . . .  I have tattoos – a “full sleeve” on my left arm. It wasn’t visible when I was working, as I wore long-sleeved shirts, and if I rolled up the cuff, they still didn’t show, since I didn’t go down to my wrist. As you know, people in healthcare have expectations of their providers. There are risks present in any procedure involving humans, but the contemporary inks typically have low risk factors. The greatest risk in tattooing is in acquiring HIV, which morphs into AIDS. Wherever your grandchild goes, you cannot be overly diligent in reviewing the shop’s sterilization procedures. Most states have standards and statutes that are as strict as those for a hospital. One that stringently follows those strict protocols is the one that you’d want to frequent. That’s what I did.

• Like 2

One can work safely with diethyl ether -  with understanding of properties of this substance, caution and common sense.

If tube broke off right at the bulb, this damage must be repaired BEFORE ether is added to the bulb. Tube should be then cut close to gauge end, and bulb filled with right amount of ether using long capillary and syringe. The second cut is then fixed while keeping bulb in ice to prevent ether evaporation. This way heat from soldering iron is kept away from ether. The amount of ether involved (~5 ml) rules out any health issues - unless one deliberately inhales the whole batch.

Whiskey and electricity are more dangerous than ether, but is doesn't stop us from using them.

• Like 2

I did this repair once, with success.  Lately, since I send out the gauges to be repainted, I let them do it.